Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starfishnc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 05:05 PM
    My dog sits instead of walking on leash
    Help me please! I recently rescued a bulldog mix who is about 4-6 months old (the shelter wasn't sure). She is the most loving and sweet puppy who has shown to be a quick learner (sit is mastered! Fetch is working well in the house). The problem that we're experiencing is walking on the leash.

She walks when she wants to. Then she sits or lays down and looks around. We'll be walking through the yard and BAM! She's sitting down. She's done very well with going outside and getting her business done, but I'd like to be able to walk her for extended periods and at this rate I'm lucky if she's walks for 1 minute before resting to view the local scenery.

By the way medical issues are not the case because when in an enclosed area she can run like the wind!

Please help me teach her to walk on a leash!

Thanks!
    dabellinator Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Use treats to bribe the dog. Every time she walks a set distance, give her another treat, and slowly increase the set distances.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Usually just getting out at the end of the leash and coaxing works. If not, try dropping back and running in baby steps while calling ''Go, go, go!'' in an excited voice. My 8 month old Holly was terrible last fall when we got her, but the baby steps never failed. Perhaps a little embarrassing out in public, but it worked. By 11 weeks, I had her in a Gentle Leader to keep her from pulling.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 26, 2007, 06:53 PM
    What worked for me with a hardheaded yellow lab I had was a gentle tug,soft comeon girl and lots of praise when walking -- it took about 2 days 20 minutes here n there. How can anyone live with out a dog? -- Savage
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:11 PM
    I am too tired to offer additional advice here. Labman's method is a good one that I have used. Works like a charm. I WISH my dog would sit for a moment and watch the scenery. Not built into her genes I guess. In any event, it is always wonderful to hear about someone wanting to walk and exercise with their dog instead of just letting them out on their own in the yard. Doing this on a regular basis will create a terrific bond between you and your puppy. Thank you for being so caring to adopt and giving her the opportunity to be a part of a wonderful and loving home environment.

Savage, to answer your question: Not a freakin' clue!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    How can anyone live with out a dog? -- Savage
    They just don't!! They only exist.

Didi
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Savage made a very important point I forgot, praise her. As soon as she takes one step, let her know what a wonderful dog she is.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starfishnc
    Help me please! I recently rescued a bulldog mix who is about 4-6 months old (the shelter wasn't sure). She is the most loving and sweet puppy who has shown to be a quick learner (sit is mastered! fetch is working well in the house). The problem that we're experiencing is walking on the leash.

She walks when she wants to. Then she sits or lays down and looks around. We'll be walking through the yard and BAM! She's sitting down. She's done very well with going outside and getting her business done, but I'd like to be able to walk her for extended periods of time and at this rate I'm lucky if she's walks for 1 minute before resting to view the local scenery.

By the way medical issues are not the case because when in an enclosed area she can run like the wind!

Please help me teach her to walk on a leash!

Thanks!
    Lol. I have a pom /mix that is so excited when she begins to walk that she grabs some of her leash and holds it her her mouth. She'll walk a couple of blocks and just flop down out of the blue. Or when we get too close to home she'll lie down as if she is not going home. My solution is to carry her until she is ready to walk. Not very firm but it works for us. Happy walking

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I train my dog to walk on a leash? [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I am a new golden retriever owner. He is 18 weeks old. I have never owned a dog that was leash trained. I want to be able to walk my golden on his leash, but he won't budge! Any help would be appreciated.

Dog won't walk with me on leash [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old puppy. She stubbornly sits and won't budge when I try to take her on walks. Anyone know how I can get her to stop doing it and l walk with me?

Broken leg, no one walking dog [ 3 Answers ]

Salutations, I broke my leg 2 weeks ago and am unable to walk my 2 year old dog (which has always for some reason been my job) No one in my family has walked her for the aforementioned amount of time, and I feel terrible for her, is this really bad for her health? Fondly, Nat.

Leash training an old dog [ 2 Answers ]

We have taken in a dog that is about 8yrs old and I don't know how to train her to walk on a leash. When you put the leash on her and hold on to the end, she does not move. She acts scare of it. What do I do to teach her to walk on a leash.

My dog sometimes gets scared of walking down the stairs [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, It's weird. During the last 2 months, I've noticed that my 98 pounds golden lab of 6 years has started having trouble coming down the basement. In fact, the oddity is not just restricted to the basement; sometimes when he runs upstairs to where we sleep, he has a hard time coming...

View more questions Search