Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMH1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Laundry Sink Overflows when using kitchen sink
    Our Laundry Sink Overflows when using the kitchen sink.. with really nasty stuff flowing back out.

As a result, sometimes when we're doing the laundry the water drains out very slowly, and we can never do the dishes and laundry at the same time. I'm worried that this may eventually become a bigger problem.. what's the best thing to do? We use draino periodically, but I don't think that is solving the problem, it just seems like a short term solution.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2007, 03:23 PM
    I am no fan of pouring harsh chemicals down your drainage system. The only time they seem to work is in TV commercials. Having said that the only sure way to clear a clogged drain is to snake it out.
    You have a partial blockage downstream from the laundry tray. You may snake from one of two places. The kitchen roof vent or the laundry tray roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and about 20 feet more. Test by cycling the washer. Good luck, Tom

Mar 26, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Thank you very much speedball.

Can you point me to any posts here that detail the best way to snake? Do I need to rent a sewer machine for this? How much does this cost if I hire a plumber?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Another stupid question.. are the kitchen roof vent or the laundry tray roof vent.. up on the roof?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Both are roof vents. The kitchen vent's located above the sink on the roof. Regards, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH1
    thank you very much speedball.

can you point me to any posts here that detail the best way to snake? Do i need to rent a sewer machine for this? How much does this cost if i hire a plumber?

thanks.
    This is how you would snak the drain. Go up on the roof and locate the sink or washer vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and about 20 feet more. Test by cycling the washer. You will need to rent a sewer machine from your local Rent-All. I have no idea what plumbers charge in your area. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink sprayer leaking from under sink [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink sprayer is leaking from underneath my sink. We just replaced the spray head part. Could it be the hose or what else could it be? Thank you!

Dirt in Laundry sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have noticed a bunch of dirt inside my laundry sink after doing laundry. The sink is in my basement and my washing machine water drains into that sink. What does this mean?:confused:

Washing machine overflows into sink (and over) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a house that is more than 100 years old. Our washing machine is in the basement. About 30 feet over, we have a half bath. Whenever we run a large load, water drains out of the washing machine OK, but backs up into the bathroom sink, and eventually over the counter and onto the...

Laundry Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to place a laundry sink in the basement. The location in question is under the kitchen. I can tie into the drain pipe from the kitchen which would run vertically, right next to the laundry sink. However, the nearest point where I could attach a vent line is about twenty feet from...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search