Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    junpingyang Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Spark plugs replacement
    When do you need to replace them? I have a 2001 Toyota Sienna XLE. It runs fine. It has 60535 miles on it. The maintanance schedule recommends to replace them at 60000 miles. But they work fine. Do I really need to replace them?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Mar 26, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Hmm.. they're probably still okay but 60,000 miles will have reduced their efficiency.
    If it's a decent car, I personally would replace both the plugs and leads - when they are in good condition the engine will burn less fuel and run smoother.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Long-life plugs should be removed every two years, in order to prevent seizure. Then, they can be reinstalled. If they are left in too long, the softer threads in the aluminum head can be stripped upon removal. Remove plugs when the engine is "stone" cold. Follow car manufacturer's recommendation on whether to use antiseize compound or not. If antiseize compound is used, reduce torque 20% to prevent stripping threads. Personally, I would replace the plugs in your car with new ones.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 03:52 PM
    It's a VVTi motor. They put iridium plugs in there and they last way past 60K. We recommend at 100k. What was said above may be true... but if it were my vehicle, I'd spend the money elsewhere.
    BTW, the back 3 plugs can be a bear to get out of there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spark plugs chevy cavalier [ 2 Answers ]

What is involved in replacing spark plugs on a 98 chev cavalier? It has 90,000 mi and the "check engine" and "ets off" lights are on so I thought it would be a good place to start.

Spark Plugs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1986 Oles with a V8 engine and 125,000 plus miles and the spark plugs have never been replace. My question is should I be concerned about them breaking off leaving the threads in the head? If so what can I do to prevent it?

Don't get spark from my spark plug wire [ 1 Answers ]

I get spark from my spark plug wire sometimes when I don't the jeep don't start Why I don't get spark sometimes?

View more questions Search