Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sexiibabii Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2007, 05:16 PM
    tongue piercing.how do i convince my mom
    okay so here's the deal, I'm 14 and my mom let me get my belly button pierced 2 years ago... I personally think piercings are a good way to express yourself.. I would like a tongue piercing and a tattoo maybe a nose piercing just a stud though... I will wait until I'm older for my nose n my tattoo but right now I'm asking my mom if I can get my tongue she said she will think about it but she really doesn't want to let me do it.. she said I don't want to feel like I'm putting a whole through my own daughter even though its my choice n I want it... does any one have any suggestions to convince my mom? =)
    jaynen76 Posts: 18, Reputation: 5

Mar 25, 2007, 06:28 PM
    When I was 15 I just did it. Now, I'm not saying that you should do that, but what I am saying is that it wasn't that big of a deal when I did it. Of course, that was even before the clear tongue rings were popular, so I really couldn't even hide it. I would ask her if you guys could go out to breakfast and talk. When she asks why, say "I just have something really important that I want to talk to you about." When you get to breakfast, just have normal talk (whatever that is for you and your mom), and after you order then begin to tell her: "you know mom, I know we've talked about me getting my tongue pierced and it's really something that I want to do....." Now, you're going to surprise her with a list of all of the "good things" or reasons you want to get it pierced AND a list of all the "bad things" or reasons she might not want you to do it. After giving her the list, say "I know that you only want the best for me, so why don't you tell me what it is that concerns YOU, with me getting my tongue pierced, maybe it's something I didn't consider."

Now, let's be realistic. Obviously you've never done this before, so you want to be as natural as possible, so use your own words and really stick with the emotion of how much it means to you to get it done opposed to trying to act like an adult.
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 25, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Sorry to say that no sensible parent is going to agree with this. May be you should reconsider. If wanted to do so many stupid things with I was your age now I say thank God that my parents didn't allow me to do it. Think about it before you do it. To answer your question I would say that there is no way to convince your parents into allowing you to have this done.

Mar 25, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Parajr
    sorry to say that no sensible parent is going to agree with this. May be you should reconsider. If wanted to do so many stupid things with I was your age now I say thank God that my parents didn't allow me to do it. Think about it before you do it. To answer your question I would say that there is no way to convince your parents into allowing you to have this done.

So, every parent who allows their children to pierce their tongue under 18 is not sensible? I believe a statement like that is not only offensive to those that would and have, but is not "sensible." Further, she mentioned she already has her belly pierced, wouldn't that classify as "not sensible" by your definition? That was really not a very nice thing to say, considering there are literally hundreds of thousands of parents who let their children pierce things despite the fact that their not 18.

Which, of course, I always ask, what's the difference between 17 and 18 again outside of the artificial legal divider our country has established, which we leave room for legislation to allow "minors" to petition themselves as legal adults. So, just why is something so trivial and impermanent so insensible?
    squackmaster Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

Mar 26, 2007, 01:57 AM
    I was just wondering... what would be on the list of "good things", for a 14 year old to get her tongue pierced?

Mar 26, 2007, 02:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by squackmaster
    I was just wondering...what would be on the list of "good things", for a 14 year old to get her tongue pierced?
    Lol... good point... well, self-expression would be one. I'm sure if I really took the time to think about it, I could come up with something that sounded like a relatively intelligent argument as to why mom should say yes.
    sexiibabii Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Thankss jaynen.. I was thinking about getting it with out my mother knowing because one of my friends did that and its been months her mom doesn't no... the way she hide it is when she is around her mom she takes the balls out.. && by the way I kind of don't need to think about it I know that I want it and worse comes to worse I can take it out its not like its permanent and yess a good reason iss juss as simple as self expresiion and I havve been thinking about it for a whillee.. thanks guyss
    babz888 Posts: 52, Reputation: -5

Apr 28, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Go get it done I was 11 when I got my belly button done and I gota a tattoo and tongue piercing when I was 14 all behind my mums back... if you do it behind her back she'll get over it soon enough! She's your mam she'll always love you n its not like she's goina kick you out or nefing! Lol go 4 it... its sore by the way :( but worth it xox
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

May 1, 2007, 12:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babz888
    jus go get it done i was 11 when i got my belly button done and i gota a tattoo n tongue piercing when i was 14 all behind my mums back ...if ya do it behind her back she'll get over it soon enough! shes ur mam she'll always love u n its not like shes goina kick u out or nefing! lol jus go 4 it ...its sore btw :( but worth it xox
    Wow, what terrible advice.

If your mom won't let you get it done, waiting a while won't kill you. And you want to be careful what you do, because tongue piercings can cause serious problems. Tooth chipping is common from the balls, and I know of one person who lost all sense of taste because the piercer hit a vein.

Also, some employers won't let you wear them at work.
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 7, 2007, 09:15 PM
    You are MUCH too young to get a tattoo! I have to say that parents have to consent piercings, tattoos, etc because children are uncapable of making decisions on there own. Because you may change your mind later on and the thought changes as you age. Do you understand? The way you think changes.. You may still want piercings, tattoos later on but especially tattoos at that young of an age is not good at all. I would wait until you are old enough to make your on decisions and + this way you will be happy that you did it the right way.

I have a guy friend who made his own tattoos at a young age.. I think mostly because a lot of his friends were doing it, etc but the homeade tattoo that he made looked very trashy. Can you live with the same tattoo for life? A lot of adults look for months before deciding on a proper tattoo and a design that is unique and reflects their own personality. In any occasion you have a LONG life ahead of you to decide on tattoos, piercings, etc. Do you get bored? If so keep yourself busy because eventually the piercings and tattoos will run out and you won't have nothing elso to do to be creative and you may become bored. At least you have something to look forward to if you wait, instead of getting it done. This could be a mistake that you regret for life because people won't hire people with tattos and piercings. Some do but even restaurants will make you cover them up and take piercings out, even if they do hire you which is doubtfull. People will look at you differently and you may realize what a mistake you made, at least wait a little while.

May 7, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Hi Sexiibabii... Another thing is if your tongue gets infected your mother WILL find out because she will have to take you to the doctor for medication and it hurts a lot, another thing is that is a big risk you are willing to take. Another thing that hurts is the after procedure, your tongue will have a pinching pain for about a week or more and may throb like a heartbeat! Ouch! The other person who said that it is easy to hide this from your parents lied to you!!

First of all you have to eat liquidy, mashy foods for about a week after the procedure.. You will have to because if you try to eat whole foods it will hurt like @$%&@ and you will also talk funny for about a few days... Have you ever seen someone who just got there toungue pierced? Anyway your mother will most likely find out unless you TOTALLY HIDE FROM HER. I mean you cannot take the balls out for a while after the procedure and it is just hard to do.

May 7, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Plus.. One quick thing. Like I said it is hard or impossible to hide from your mom and somehow she will find out, probably the same day. Are you willing to go through that much trouble and your mom just to find out because she will. Not only that, but she will make you take out the piercing and then you would have went through the pain and money for NO reason. Plus you will probably get punnished and your mom won't trust you anymore. Then you will have to wait longer to get the piercing, 18 years old when you can do it on your on. Don't pay over $50 just to have the piercing took out and most places will not do it anyway without a parents concent.. If you have someone that you know to pierce you this can cause A LOT of trouble and you will regret it because you can get sick, infected, die or be in a severe amount of pain.
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 7, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sexiibabii
    okay so heres the deal, im 14 and my mom let me get my belly button pierced 2 years ago... i personally think piercings are a good way to express your self.. i would like a tongue piercing and a tatoo maybe a nose piercing just a stud tho... i will wait until im older for my nose n my tatoo but right now im asking my mom if i can get my tongue she said she will think about it but she really doesnt want to let me do it.. she said i dont want to feel like im putting a whole thru my own daughter even tho its my choice n i want it... does any one have any suggestions to convince my mom?? =)
    Its hard to convince someone who is set. However what are the benefits of having this.. Does it boost yourself esteem ? Is it just a fade your going through ? You need to present your presentation. First by telling her, that should the day come and you no longer like it, you won't blame her for allowing you to get it. You must explain the benefits or why you want this.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 7, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAdvice
    Its hard to convince someone who is set. However what are the benefits of having this..Does it boost your self esteem ? Is it just a fade your going through ? You need to present your presentation. First by telling her, that should the day come and you no longer like it, you wont blame her for allowing you to get it. You must explain the benefits or why you want this.
    Exactly, present it like an adult with thought out arguments and reasoning.
    hellcarrier67 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2007, 04:23 PM
    It's most likely true that your mom will forgive you if you went behind her back. but you are risking more by doing this. The main one is your moms trust in you, then there's the whole deal about what kind of a piercing parlor would pierce an underage person without the parent present. Don't get me wrong I like tats and piercings, I have my own, just make sure you know what your doing, and ALL the consequences, first.
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 8, 2007, 04:28 PM
    As hard as it is to understand, respect what she says right now. Look at it this way you only have 4 more years until you are 18, and during that time you should respect the rules that your parents lay down for you. After you are 18 you will have the rest of your life to do anything that you want, if you still want it then. One day you will be glad that you did.

May 8, 2007, 08:15 PM
    I don't think piercings are that important myself. For the most part I got my cartilage pierced because I was bored, and like the look and was fun to have done also. I am an adult though and make my own decisions, I don't think that I would ever go behind my moms back.. because of fear of what my mom might do. My mom would beat my but, probably If I had ever went behind her back and she would have made me take the piercing out also! I may have risked it living with my aunt because growing up she was never strict with her own children or me when she sat for me but I also have respect for my aunt also and would not want to risk are relationship over a dump piercing.
    MissiexxMurdererxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sexiibabii
    okay so heres the deal, im 14 and my mom let me get my belly button pierced 2 years ago... i personally think piercings are a good way to express your self.. i would like a tongue piercing and a tatoo maybe a nose piercing just a stud tho... i will wait until im older for my nose n my tatoo but right now im asking my mom if i can get my tongue she said she will think about it but she really doesnt want to let me do it.. she said i dont want to feel like im putting a whole thru my own daughter even tho its my choice n i want it... does any one have any suggestions to convince my mom?? =)
    Tell her ull do it yourself or she will take u, that's what I did
    babz888 Posts: 52, Reputation: -5

Aug 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brandy681
    Hi Sexiibabii... Another thing is if your tongue gets infected your mother WILL find out because she will have to take you to the doctor for medication and it hurts a lot, another thing is that is a big risk you are willing to take. Another thing that hurts is the after procedure, your tongue will have a pinching pain for about a week or more and may throb like a heartbeat! Ouch! The other person who said that it is easy to hide this from your parents lied to you!!!!!

First of all you have to eat liquidy, mashy foods for about a week after the procedure.. You will have to because if you try to eat whole foods it will hurt like @$%&@ and you will also talk funny for about a few days... Have you ever seen someone who just got there toungue pierced?? Anyway your mother will most likely find out unless you TOTALLY HIDE FROM HER. I mean you cannot take the balls out for a while after the procedure and it is just hard to do.

You don't need to eat mashy foods for a week after it... just not spicy foods or alcohol o yea and no oral sex... I was eating a pizza the day after I got it done... its sore after but stickable... and its very easy to hide just don't talk to them for a while face to face... pretend your doing something and face the ova way... tis all good...
    Mockinbird Posts: 12, Reputation: 8

Aug 9, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Sounds like you have a shopping list of things you want to do... tatoo's and piercing etc etc. Not necessarily a horrible thing. I think it may hold you back by the unfortunate habit people tend to judge a book by its cover. Employers don't like this type of thing much. Everyone expresses themselves daily. Not just during the teen years. Some define themselves by the job they have, the car they drive or the clothes they wear. The difference here is you're a minor. Your parents are still responsible for guiding you until you are considered an adult. As a parent I would say NO! If you wish to have XYZ then wait until your 18. Sounds to me like... how do I say this... you have a more pliable parent that would give a green light to a belly ring to a girl of your age. So I suppose you will find a way to get what you want somehow. I also know you may regret the decision. If you expect to have the rights of an adult then I hope you are willing to discuss it with your Mom like an Adult. I see the real damage is to the level of trust and communication problems that are bound to follow. Don't go get a tattoo or something and have a she will get over it attitude. This says you have no respect for your parents... where is your Dad in all this? Is he around? Ask yourself... why do I need this? Are you just wanting acceptance by someone? Is that acceptance worth all the risks? Try not to rush into things... Tatoo's are hard to remove. They may be cool in your youth but they can be a reminder of past mistakes as well.

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: Ok, so I have been trying to convince my mom that I should get a Tongue Ring, and i don't know how to convince her. If any one has any ideas, please let me know! ~Thanks:confused:

Tongue Piercing [ 35 Answers ]

I just thoguth aobut tongue piercing and began imagining how mad it would be. Having a piece of metal in your mouth. I want to get one of these when I'm older, because its pretty easy to hide, and doesn't make you seem like a punk or anything (unlike eyebrow studs or anything. Can people tell me...

Tongue piercing twice [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have my tongue pierced once And am thinking about getting it done again But am unsure as it might affect the way I give blowjobs Can anyone help or give any advice on this Thanks Xxx

Does tongue piercing hurt? [ 29 Answers ]

Hey guys I'm 15 and id like to get my tongue piercied profesionally but I'm scared that it hurts.does it hurt?and does blood come out? Message me asap tnx

View more questions Search