Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria2day Posts: 94, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Air conditioner repair
    The A/C went out in my apartment. After 2 weeks, my landlord sent a repairman to look at it. They claimed that the wires in the thermostat had been moved.and that caused the voltage regulator to go out. My landlord wants me to pay for the repairs. Approx $500. After about 2 weeks of going without air, I did remove the thermostat cover to see if any wires had fallen off, and to replace the battery, but I didn't move any wires. Is it legal for him to make me pay for the entire cost of repairing the air conditioner?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 02:02 PM
    Yeah... because if he's got a repairman that says you did something to cause the failure... that's the justification...

And you are going to find it very hard to prove that wasn't the cause of the failure. Your legal fees would far exceed that to fight it..

Not saying you did or didn't do it... just saying people do mess around with stuff and break it all the time... and in those cases... its not normal maintenance... which would be covered by rent... but considered intentional damage which is on the tenant.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 13, 2013, 02:50 PM
    As smoothy suggests, in the event this is litigated, it will come down to the word of the expert(s). The judge is not an A/C expert, so he or she will defer to the opinion of such an expert. Your landlord will bring her/his expert: the repairman, and if you don't have one you will probably loose. You could, of course get your own expert A/C person to give you a second opinion, but it the thing has been fixed by now, that would probably be hard to do.

What kind of A/C requres a battery needing replacement, anyway?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post

What kind of A/C requres a battery needing replacement, anyway?
    The thermostat. They did mention it in the post. The wiring from that goes to the control board on the main unit... and crossing wires (shorting them in any way) very much CAN damage that depending on which wires are involved..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window air conditioner blows cold air, but the frame/body is VERY hot. [ 1 Answers ]

The air conditioner has been working great and is still blowing out very cold air. The fan is blowing hot air from the rear correctly. The problem is, the compressor is VERY hot and that heat is transferring to the body/frame of the unit. The window sill and entire air conditioner frame is red hot,...

Air conditioner compressor buzzing when air conditioner not running [ 2 Answers ]

Outside unit making low constant hum noise, can be heard 4-5 ft away. fan on outside unit blows when thermostat is lowered and ac comes on. Cool air blowing from vents in house when air come on. Wondered what the noise is?

Air Conditioner won't get cold, yet water leaks from air conditioner [ 4 Answers ]

Air conditioner is turned on, but it will not cool. Water leaks

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

View more questions Search