Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeNiro Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2007, 04:20 PM
    My hamster has died
    My pet hamster died today, he was only 10 months old and seemed absolutely fine, happy and running about. I had not seen him for over a day so I checked his bed and he was there just curled up. I don't understand why he has gone, I don't think he had wet tail, can anyone help me, give me a possible reason to why this happened?:(
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 12:23 AM
    Possible answer:

Salmonellosis - this is the same organism that can (and will) affect humans so be warned. Hamsters by and large acquire it by eating food contaminated with the Salmonella bacteria. Therefore it is best that you wash your vegetables and fruits well before you feed it to your hamsters and to practice common sense hygiene precautions e.g. washing your hands after playing with your hamsters, cleaning their cage out etc... The problem with Salmonellosis is that your newly acquired pet hamster could very have the disease but isn't showing signs of it so hygiene measures are your best protection. Hamsters with this illness can suffer from sudden death (ie you wake up and find them dead) or they can suffer a chronic wasting disease where they just seem to lose weight and fail to thrive.
    DeNiro Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Thank you for you reply Clough. I often gave my hamster fruit and vegetables, and I feel awful and stupid but I never washed them, I just didn't realise, and never knew hamsters were in danger of salmonella poisoning.

I buried him in the garden today with one of his favourite toys, whilst I was taking all bits of sawdust and bedding off him, I noticed he had a piece of tissue (bedding) coming from his mouth. When I tried to remove it it just snapped off. Now Im thinking has he choked to death on his bedding, is this possible?
    csussa Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro
    My pet hamster died today, he was only 10 months old and seemed absolutely fine, happy and running about. I had not seen him for over a day so I checked his bed and he was there just curled up. I dont understand why he has gone, I dont think he had wet tail, can anyone help me, give me a possible reason to why this happened?:(
    It could have been wet tail or sue toa cold or a cough which can be caught of humans also mites which tend the ears to go red and scratchy I don't no if it had red ears but it could have and also did it have sticky eyes when it woke up?? Because that is a disease tell if you have seen any of these symptoms. AND YES IT IS POSSIBLE IYT CHOKED COZ IVE SEEN MY HAMSTER PUT BEDDING IN ITS MOUTH AND DEN I THINK SPAT IT OUT IN ITS BED FROM ITS POUCHES SORRY FOR DA CAPS. Get bak to me
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 01:05 PM
    The original post was posted on Mar. 25, 2007 at 05:20 PM.
    teghancat Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Mar 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
    I think you are right in that he probably choked on the bedding. Do you use pine bedding?
    If you do, I have a better suggestion for next time. Try buying "carefresh" pet bedding. It lasts longer, it doesn't smell, and is hard to get in a small mouth. It is also made with non toxic dyes, so if your little guy does manage to get some down his throat, it probably won't be dangerous. I use carefresh for my hamster and I have NEVER had problems.
    Iceblazer10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 07:45 PM
    This happened to my hamster today. He had choked on some stupid cotton I had put in the cage. But, any bedding can be harmful, some less than others. A way to avoid this is buy the bio-degradeable bedding ( if your you little guy eats it, it shouldn't harm him) NEVER PUT IN COTTON. Hamsters have a tendensy to choke on this. I have a robo hamster, and this is what I do. You may have a problem that a robo can't have. I hoped this helped a little. Good luck with your next pet and may your hamster RIP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I don't know when my father died [ 3 Answers ]

My father was Francoise Grillot. He and my mother had an affair, and they were never married. He died before I was born. All I know is that his mom's name was Maddame Suzzanne Grillot. I want a picture of him. I have never seen what he looks like. He lived in France. I don't know what part. Can...

1 of my guinea pigs died. [ 4 Answers ]

I had two guinea pigs. One male one female. Both 3 years old. The male died today and we are considering getting another pig to keep the female company. Is this a good idea? Please help!! :(

The day my parents died [ 5 Answers ]

I need to find a country song title about 7 to 10 years ago I think,it about a little girl whose father kills her mother and himself but she hides behind the couch and she`s in church and "that man on the cross came down and held my hand the day my parents died:)

View more questions Search