Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2007, 07:51 AM
    1099-misc, 403b contribution, mortgage interest questions
    QUESTION 1

I received a 1099-misc for a seminar I attended. It is not from my main job, where I got a regular W2. I own a home, and am using TurboTax. They're using a full form 1040. For this money from the 1099-misc, they want it on the schedule C, for saying it's from my personal business. It is related to my job as elementary school teacher, and was about issues that pertain to me.

In the Schedule C, for the description, what do I put for the following:
    1) Principal business or profession, including product or service (I don't think I put school teacher here, but left blank for now)
    2) Business address (I put my home address for now)
    3) Accounting method

If this is how it works, then great. But I don't really understand since this somewhat throws my "normal" tax return for a little loop.

QUESTION 2
    On my W2, I have my contribution to retirement 403b listed in box 12b. Since it is listed here, do I need to tell TurboTax to account for retirement savings in the IRA/401k section? I definitely don't want to miss the deduction, but also do not what to double dip wrongfully.

QUESTION 3
    I am a co-borrower for the home I own, w/ 2 names on the mortgage. When we get our mortgage statement, it says box our names, but for the taxpayer social, it is just mine. If we divide up the interest paid during the year, what do I need to do, and what does the other person need to do, in order to let the IRS know that there's a difference between the 1098 and what we're filing. We are both single filers.

Thanks for all the help.

Mar 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 12:40 PM
    1) Sorry, but Form 1099-MISC income has to be reported on Schedule C or C-EZ unless it is less than $400, in which case you can report it on Line 21 (Other Income).

2) The notation on the W-2 mask will tell TurboTax about the 403b contribution.

3) If you are 50-50 owners, split the interest equally. If not, split it based on percentage of ownership.

Mar 27, 2007, 04:12 PM
    For the mortgage split, how do I notify the IRS of my valid claim of the interest? I'd assume the IRS believes the house and the interest is all paid by the person noted on the form 1098. Any special forms or just claim it?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Just claim the interest as cited above. If the IRS has any questions about it (very unlikely), they will ask you about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone claim your mortgage interest on their tax?

Assuming my moms mortgage and getting the interest deduction. [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is 80 has a home with a terrible mortgage. I want to pay down the loan from 295K to 60K or make a 235K payment. I want to refinance the terms on the remainder (60K) and place my name with hers on the loan. Basically assume the loan and make the payments, with both parties...

Mortgage Interest paid to bank in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Canadian citizen and now work in the U.S. under a TN Visa I bought a house just across the border in Canada. The mortgage is with a bank in Canada, and they do not issue a Form 1098. Can I deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes on my U.S. tax return? If, so, what documentation...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

1099-misc [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1099-MISC form from my employer. I was an F-1 visa holder under the OPT, work permit last year when I worked for two months. I have an amount in box 7 and zero for Income tax withheld. I gather, as a non-resident alien, I am filing 1040 NR, but I don't know where I am putting down this...

View more questions Search