Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trach Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Self Cleaning Litter Boxes-Do they Work?
    Do the self cleaning litter boxes work? I was thinking about getting one, but they are so expensive I don't want to buy one and have my cats not use it because they are afraid of the noise.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Mar 22, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I have never talked to anyone who was satisfied with these litter boxes. If you have more than one cat especially!
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Mar 22, 2007, 02:29 PM
    In my experience, they can work well enough with one cat, but not so well with multiple cats. Since they'll occasionally be visiting the box shortly after one another, it will start auto-sifting while one cat is using it, which will make the cat less comfortable. Cats who are uncomfortable in the box are going to be very unhappy cats.

Even with a single cat, the auto-sifters are only really good if your cat has more solid stools. It becomes a horrendous mess if your cat gets diarrhea or generally has less solid stool.

Unless you're away from the house an awful lot, you're probably better off with a traditional box. It'll never scare your cat off, and you'll be more aware of any changes in their habits that might give an early indication of trouble.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Apr 16, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Just in case you check again... I have two cats that pee A lot!! :) The auto-sifter on these restart the 10min timer when something goes by the sensor. I LOVE my auto litter box. The only ones that it startles are the people that stop by:) Cats don't mind it a bit. The only people that I could say would complain are the lazy ones (which I am one myself), if you have more than 1 cat... you have to empty the bucket more!
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 16, 2007, 04:46 PM
    I've heard of someone who had one and the cat was going in and out of the box in mid poo the box started cleaning and the cat got stuck. I don't know if it's true, but I say there are not worth the price. Either way you have to clean up the mess, what's the difference between scooping it and dumping, either way it's manual labour. I say buy your cat a wonderful cat tree and keep on scooping. :)
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2007, 07:22 PM
    I've got the Litter-Robot ($$$$) and it does seem to work really well, technically. Unfortunately, I have two cats, and I could probably transition one to it without too much work, but the other one is absolutely refusing to use it at all. And cats tend to win any issues with litterboxes! So, it's going back. At least I'm only out the shipping.

And for the non-self-cleaning option, I like litterboxes with sifters. But do NOT use them the way that they say (with the sifter in the box with the clean litter). You want to keep it in the empty box, so that you pour the dirty litter in it and pull it up. That way anything that is going to stick doesn't do it in the sifter slits, and it's easy to take a scoop and do a quick knock-off of any clumps on the edges of the box.
    JVann03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trach
    Do the self cleaning litter boxes work? I was thinking about getting one, but they are so expensive I don't want to buy one and have my cats not use it because they are afraid of the noise.
    My cats and I all LOVE our Litter-Maid!!
    gizmo_48401 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Apr 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Yep I got that litter box with the sifter in to I like it I stor it the same it is a lot easer I use the clumping liter and my cats dig so yah id have a mess if I left the sifter in it ! Glad I thought before I put it in the box!
    taeshawn Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Apr 23, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trach
    Not that I know of... train your cat to go outside... or put it in a area that it doesn't bother anyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daschunds and Litter Boxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I'm the owner of a five-month old Daschund/Pomeranian mix. I have a few questions regarding issues we've had with his training so far. I've gotten so many opinions from so many people that now I'm doubting how good of a job I've done with him. My first issue is potty training. We...

Electrical boxes [ 2 Answers ]

I think I have an unique problem. I have a 4"x4"x6' space which is all wall board above a pass through. I have 3 small wall sconces I want to mount above the pass through. The problem is the wall board. How do I attach the electrical boxes so I can mount the light fixtures? At this point I have the...

Cat litter and cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

Hi just want o no what type of litter do you use for your can't and how do you clean if after its dirty, like do you put in the garden or the bin?

Need help for Linux boxes. [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup and install the APC power management on Linux boxes? Please help... thks.

View more questions Search