Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louieborn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Upgrading a blower motor
    I have been told that I need to upgrade my duct work due to the furnace being updated prior to me buying my house 4 years ago. The gentle said the blower does not have the output capacity to get the heat out of the furnace because of the PVC sized ductwork. Rather than maatching the ductwork to the blower, can I match the blower to the ductwork?
    HVACxpert Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Need allot more info on your problem. 1 size of house 2 BTU input of furnace 3 Furnace efficiency 4 one or two story house with basement? 5 Heating basement... finished basement? 6 What was the problem... reason you had someone look at your furnace.7 age of house and furnace. 8 How well insulated? 9 Average gas bill for Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb.
    10 As for upgrading the blower to match the duct work in a newer funace, does that mean you need or want more airflow or less?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
    If the ductwork won't handle the correct cfm for the furnace BTU output I don't see how a blower package will change anything. First I would find out what the gas pressure is at the manifold is and see what the temperature rise is.
    louieborn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACxpert
    Need allot more info on your problem. 1 size of house 2 BTU input of furnace 3 Furnace efficiency 4 one or two story house with basement? 5 Heating basement....finished basement? 6 What was the problem....reason you had someone look at your furnace.7 age of house and furnace. 8 How well insulated? 9 Average gas bill for Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb.
    10 As for upgrading the blower to match the duct work in a newer funace, does that mean you need or want more airflow or less?

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I'll tell you what I know. We have a 2 story 1300 sq ft home built in 1905. The first floor has replacement windows, the second have original. The insulation is blown, and we are trying to increase airflow. We heat with oil, and the last time the line froze, the gentle said we are not getting enough heat out of the furnace. It is approximately 9 years old. With the blower being even newer. He suggested we increase the size of the ductwork to increase airflow.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 03:53 PM
    OK now I'm confused again... What line froze? Furnace is in the basement? They can't just add a new supply and/or return, to increase the airflow? Are they sure it has the correct size nozzel, and fuel oil output pressure is within spec's for that furnace? What pipes are PVC?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing Motor Blower [ 1 Answers ]

I changed the Motor Blower 208-230 V and the old motor with two speeds and it had a yellow, black, green, blue and two brown. I wrote all the colors and know where they all go. The new motor has three speeds and has a white, black, red, blue, and two brown wires. Can anyone help me determine...

Blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

THere is no air blowing when the heat is on. The furnace does come on but no air blows. If I turn the heat off and manually turn the fan on the air blows. If I leave the fan switch in the on position and turn the heat on the air stops.

Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have read multiple posts about wiring for blower motors and saw one that almost answered my question. I have an old blower motor that I would like to convert to a shop air filter. I know that it is a multi-speed motor. It has 8 wire connections and are labeled as such: Power cap cap ...

Blower motor problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I came home last night to find my ac had stopped working. The ac unit runs fine but the blower motor had stopped. I shut the system down and waited till the next day and tried it again. It worked great for about 3 or 4 minutes and then stopped again. The ac unit works but the blower motor...

View more questions Search