Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
    What is the AMP service to my house?
    I was wondering if someone could tell me by these two pictures what the amp service to my house is. I ask because I think I may need to get a bigger breaker box with more breakers. I don’t think I would be adding to the load, but better organization on segregated appliances is my goal.

I am planning on renovating the kitchen and among the things I would like to do include running a new line to the stove. The current wire is 3 prong, not 4 like the stove. A separate line for the dishwasher, it is currently connected with screw caps to a wire that is 2 feet long and connected to a junction box in the basement underneath. I am thinking its own line with a junction box right next to it might be more suitable. I will have a range hood installed requiring a new electric line. I don’t mind spending a little more to have these applicance on their own breaker, the box is literally underneath the kitchen so it shouldn’t be too much trouble. Or am I over thinking this? Is it not worth the expense?
    Does anyone have any thoughts?

No- I don't plan to do this work myself- I am the electricial will do what I want, I am more interested in what I need.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2013, 09:39 PM
    Cannot tell from picture. If you are considering a new box, let the electrician or power supply company tell you.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 04:47 AM
    That is either a 150A or 200A service with a split-bus panel. Most likely 150A.

Feb 25, 2013, 05:14 AM
    Thanks... now if I have the electrician upgrade to 200 amps, this would include a new panel, and a new wire to the meter right? I wouldn't need to get into getting a new line from the pole to the house and then a new meter?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2013, 05:16 AM
    If you provide a good photo of the cable "above" the meter socket but make sure to keep the top of the meter socket in the photo also for scale, I'll be we could be more certain of the service size...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 05:35 AM
    I wouldn't need to get into getting a new line from the pole to the house and then a new meter?
    This is under the ownership and control of the utility, and is no concern to the contractor or homeowner.

Feb 28, 2013, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcarson View Post
    If you provide a good photo of the cable "above" the meter socket but make sure to keep the top of the meter socket in the photo also for scale, I'll be we could be more certain of the service size....
    Hi... Not sure if this helps. The outside cable is painted... the inside cable has writing but it is worn off to the point where I can't read it. As always, I appreciate the help.
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 07:44 AM
    Coolhand - All you have to do is pick up the phone and call your power company. They own the service delivery to your home. They can tell you what your service amperage is.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 07:48 AM
    Hmm... based on what I think I can see, I'll place my dollar on 150 ampere...
    I was hoping for some visible text...

Feb 28, 2013, 10:12 AM
    Donf- Power company says 150... caveat- if nothing was changed by the homeowner. You can see there are newer lines off to the right that come into the box from the bottom. The AC was added, 7 recessed lights and some GFI counter top plugs in the kitchen.

If it is 150- I think I will want 200 because I know there are some electrical items I would like to add. Before I call the electrician, I wanted to know as much as possible so I don't get something installed I already have. At the same time, I want to add and know I won't burn the house down.

Does this box look scary to the electricians out there?

Thanks...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

I have a 200 amp service to the house. And want to run 125 amp box in shop? 80 [ 4 Answers ]

I want to run 125 amp service in my shop I need to know what size wire to run? I have a 220 air compressor and welder lights A 110 lift this is a home shop .

What amp service is coming into house? [ 17 Answers ]

We were told our house had 100amp service, but our insurance man says that this is a split 50/60 amp service. I have attached a picture. What do you think? I was told by the inspector that the main wire was 100 amp service. The insurance company won't insure the house and it costs $2000 to fix.

200 amp service to house, 100 amp serivce to workshop what prep is needed? [ 6 Answers ]

We are purchasing a home in Florida (Miami Dade Codes) that was built in the early 60's. There is currently a 150amp fuse box in the house which was originally a 2 bedroom house. We are having the panel upgraded to 200amp and breakers. We are also having new wiring installed for a washer, dryer and...

View more questions Search