Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdgoodling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2013, 08:51 AM
    How to install a 100 amp sub panel with a 200 amp main
    I am installing a 100 amp sub panel beside a 200 amp main in my basement due to refinishing my basement and my main is full. My question is, is there a certain spot in the main that the 100 amp breaker needs to be installed that will power the sub panel?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 8, 2013, 09:07 AM
    No. The sub-feed breaker can be placed anywhere.
    wayne1yahoo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2013, 11:29 AM
    You need to use proper wire size for your code most likley #4 or # 2 copper. You need to tie in just below your 200Amp Main breaker. This may require additional screws or other hardware for proper connection. By tieing in below the 200 amp main should something happen this breaker will cut off. Be very careful and cutoff the 200 amp breaker before connecting. I you are the least bit unsure you should have a certified electrician perform this work. Be very cautous when working with this system as electricution can happen if you do not perform correct or with proper safety concerns.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 8, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Wayne, there is no effective reason to place the sub-feed breaker right below the main, nor is there any code requiring it.

Can you please explain what this means:
    By tieing in below the 200 amp main should something happen this breaker will cut off.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 08:12 AM
    Wayne,

The feeder from the main service panel board must be a 4 wire feed and it is sized according to Table 310.16. not Table 31.15 (B)(6). At least according to the 2008 edition of the NEC.

In this case, Copper would need to be #1 AWG @ 60(C) or #3 AWG @ 75 (C).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size required from 200 amp main to 100 amp sub panel [ 1 Answers ]

The sub panel is located @75 feet from main panel.

I have a 100 amp main panel and I want to feed a 200 amp main lug. [ 1 Answers ]

The panel I have now is a 100amp main breaker and I still want the ability to keep some of the circuits that it currently has in it. I am putting the 200amp main lug in my house and was wondering if it is safe to put a 100amp break in my main panel to feed the 200 amp main lug panel and if so...

100 amp main, 100 amp service wire, 200 amp sub panel? [ 2 Answers ]

I am moving my sub panel and upgrading to a 200 amp service, but in phases. The first phase is to move the panel due to some remodeling. I want to put a 200 amp panel in the laundry room with a 200 amp breaker. I have 100 amp feeder wire going to it (AL 2/2/2). Outside I have the meter can and...

200 amp main panel: 2 100 amp subpanels? [ 1 Answers ]

I was asked to by a homeowner to help with a wiring project. She has 1 200 amp main panel and 1 100 amp subpanel. Both are full yet she needs more circuits for a bed n' breakfast. Can another 100 amp subpanel be installed?

100 Amp Subpanel from 200 Amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a subpanel to be used to supply branch circuits to a new kitchen, laundry, garage, and some additional lighting and receptacles. The 200 amp main panel is about 50 ft away but because of the obstructions, we'll need about 85 feet of cable to connect the 100 amp subpanel. Since...

View more questions Search