Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hayle101 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Feb 4, 2013, 06:12 AM
    Dog chews EVERYTHING!
    This is my mothers dog. Not my jack russel terrier. My mothers dog is a cross breed charpe mixed with something else I'm not quiet sure. But he literally chews EVERYTHING! He's chewed up some of our clothes and books and now he's completely destroyed our living room set. I would attach a photo to show you but I don't know how. So we decided to keep him outside. But now he rips our clothes off the washing line and destroys it. We've scolded him but he's getting worse. Please help!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2013, 08:15 AM
    Keeping him outside because you don't have the knowledge or skills to handle him is just plain cruel. You are making a bad situation worse!

Take him to a trainer OR supervise him more closely. How does a dog eat a livingroom full of furniture if he's been supervised? He needs training and that doesn't involve "scolding," whatever that involves. It involves supervision and consistent training.

Does he have the run of the house? Is he kenneled or confined when you aren't home? How much exercise does he get?

I realize you don't want to "force obedience school" on your dog, but I don't know what that means. Obedience school and/or training is a lot less cruel than forcing a dog to live outside with little or no human contact.

I realize you are in over your head with your dog and, apparently, your mother's dog. Are they in the same household?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 08:29 AM
    You need to learn how to train this dog, pure and simple. It is in their nature to chew and you can't punish the dog simply because it does such a thing and you have no idea how to stop it.
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Feb 4, 2013, 08:33 AM
    You might not be able to be with the dog in the house, every minute of the day, as another answer suggested. You might not have the money to take it to a trainer, or etc.
    In my opinion, I think letting it be a yard dog, with a dog house, is a good solution. There are many, many yard dogs, in my area in the country, in the mountains, and there is nothing cruel about it! As long as it has shelter.
    You might try putting the dog on a long leash, such as a 15 ft. leash or something, to keep it away from your clothesline while you are drying clothes.
    Others have had this problem in the past with a dog chewing up almost everything in sight, like furniture, couches, chairs, etc. Some even tries spraying the furniture with a 50-50 water-vinegar mixture. It didn't work in a couple of tries with friends of mine.
    Other people I know found new homes for their dog, which by the way, wound up outside with a dog house of its own! Good luck.
    Hayle101 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2013, 06:12 AM
    I take care of my dog, that's not the concern. The thing with my mothers dog is, he wasn't always like this. He became ill about 3 months ago and nearly died because the vet we took him to didn't know what she was doing and told us nothings wrong. When we took him to a second vet she helped us. And since he's been better he's gotten naughty. That's why we scold him. He live's in the back yard with our other dogs and eats inside. We have too keep him outside because when we try to tell him he's doing something bad, he growls at us. But like I said this behaviour started when he got better from his illness. And I have no idea what triggered it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2013, 08:46 AM
    Having a dog for the sake of "convenience" or whatever else is involved in having an outside dog (I'm very much anti chained outside dog) is a different situation from banishing a dog the owner either can't or won't train outside.

"Banishing" is the key word here.

Another question where the circumstances of the question change when the answer is given.

So - take the dog back to the Vet and ask for help. If the dog growls at the owner and the owner is worried/concerned/frightened enough to banish the dog outside there are more problems than chewing on furniture.

Likewise, your dog is not without problems if it keeps you up at night and you don't know what to do.

Pure and simple - you need to consult with a trainer.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2013, 11:37 AM
    He's bored! He needs interaction with his humans. He needs to be walked and exercised and played with. He is a puppy! If he is left to his own devices, like a toddler or small child he's going to get into things he shouldn't be getting into. Dogs are pact animals and shouldn't be separated or left to figure things out on their own.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 5, 2013, 12:49 PM
    If you want something on your lawn, get a lawn ornament, or a bird bath. Sequestering the dog outside is cruel and inhumane. In fact, one of your neighbors could call the humane society on you, and you'd be charged with animal cruelty.

If you can't, or won't train this dog, then find a home that will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog chews paws [ 12 Answers ]

The dogs a king charles he's 18 month old and chews his paws all the time the vet now thinks it's a food allergie they said to feed him turkey cornflakes which he ate yesterday but today has been sick all morning has any ones dog have anything like this and if so what did they do to help the dog ...

Dog Chews Papers and Electrical Cords [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old Lab mixed with Chesapeake Bay Retriever that is extremely friendly and pleasant. The only problem is that she chews papers, books, and electrical cords even if I am with her in the room. I thought she would outgrow the behavior after teething, but she has not. I...

Why our dog chews off his pads [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: One of our dogs has been chewing off his pads. We've had him back and forth to the vet since Oct. 2007 for different treatments. He currently has three sore paws. We wrapped them, he quickly chews the bandages off, We purchased dogboots to protect the sore pads from the snow and ice...

Dog chews her toes [ 10 Answers ]

Lately I've noticed that my female dog has started chewing on her toes. She acts like they itch. She hasn't rubbed off any fur or anything. There are no sores or anything like that but she chews on them a lot. Anyone have any ideas?

Dog chews rocks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old lab who loves to chew on rocks, we have bought him every chew toy possible but he loves to bring in rocks from outside. Should I allow this? Is chewing on rocks bad for him? Any help is appreciated.

View more questions Search