Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jayan2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2013, 12:25 AM
    Please help for this simple logical problem? Suppose a 2 metres long pipe.
    It's area of cross section is 1 metre squire.The pipe is vertically placed.It's bottom end is closed.Inside the pipe, at the closed bottom end, there is 1 metre cube of air,closed with a disc. This disc is movable, like a piston in the cyllinder.(The cyllinder is the pipe.)
    Now, I'm pressing on the disc downwards and compressing the air to 5 bar of pressure.(the volume of the air decreased.).
    Now I'm pouring water on to the disc, 1000kg of water.
    Now in the pipe,there is the compressed air at the very bottom, then the piston on it, and on the piston, filled with water of 1 metre hight(1 metre cube,i.e. 1 tone of weight).).
    Now, if I release the pressure of the compressed air at the bottom SUDDENLY, to how much height the water colunm
    Will go up(will be shooted up) ?
    Consider the atmospheric pressure also,which blocking downwards.
    PLEASE HELP..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2013, 08:09 AM
    Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help
    “Read this first - Expectations for the Homework Help Board:
    Do not simply retype or paste a question from your book or study material

We won't do your homework questions for you. You were given the assignment for you to learn.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.

If you have some SPECIFIC questions that you couldn't find or didn't understand, we may help with that. But this is your assignment, so show us you have at least attempted to complete it on your own.

Thank you.”
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Feb 4, 2013, 08:13 AM
    "Simple" logical problem? I have a 2 Bachelors degrees, and this really doesn't look simple to me. You might ask your professor or teacher to give you some help with this one. Good luck.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 08:57 AM
    It's actually not too difficult. Consider the work done on the compressed air as the piston is compressed from 1 meter down to 0.2 meters, giving the increase from 1 bar to 5 bars of pressure. That work is the pressure times piston area integrated over the distance compressed, and a reasonable approximation of pressure is 1 Bar divided by the height of the piston from the bottom (P = 1 Bar/x). Set this amount of work to the kinetic energy imparted to the water and piston when the mechanism fires. That will give you the velocity at the moment when the piston is at x = 1 meter, which is the moment of its greatest velocity (at x>1 there is actually a vacuum in the piston and so it slows down), and from that you can determine the height that the water shoots.

Note that this method ignores the fact that as the air expands it will naturally cool a bit (under the ideal gas law), and consequently the pressure is not quite equal to 1 Bar/x. Also in reality the upward water column will be affected quite substantially by the drag of air resistance, which this method ignores. And as for considering the pressure of the atmosphere, which as you say opposes the piston - just use relative pressures (i.e. the volume of the chamber is compresed from 0 to 4 Bar, not from 1 to 5).

Post back with what you calculate and we'll compare notes.
    Jayan2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 03:41 AM
    I'm equating 500000 Newton to 1000kg of mass and unknown accelaration.(F=ma)
    will 500000 equal to 1000 into accelaration? So,a=500000/1000=500m/s^2 ? Am I corect?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 10:09 AM
    The initial acceleration while the pressure is 5 Bar is indeed 500m/s^2. But as the piston moves upward the air pressure behind it is reduced, and consequently the acceleration is reduced as well. Hence acceleration is not constant but rather is a function of the position of the piston. To find the resulting velocity you need to use the following:

where 'a(x)' = acceleration. From the data you provided we know that a(x)=100p(x), where 'p' = pressure in the cylinder in bar and is a function of displacement 'x.' If you use a simple equation such as [math] p(x)=6.25-6.25x[math] you can then put it into the above integral to find the final velocity of the piston after it expands from x = 0.2 meter to x = 1 meter.

Post back with what you get for the final velocity.
    joshfella Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2013, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samcreed View Post
    "Simple" logical problem? I have a 2 Bachelors degrees, and this really doesn't look simple to me. You might ask your professor or teacher to give you some help with this one. Good luck.
    Unless, yours is Bachelor of Science, then you will find this logical problem is simple logical. If in just regular Physics, maybe normal student needs to think a little hard to get this through. But for someone who are taking Fluids Mechanics or Applied Differential Equation, then the problem will lay out clearer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was suppose to do my hours. I still have time but wonderment how I'm suppose action [ 3 Answers ]

I've been charged for theft and was suppose to do my hours from march 22 to July 27. But didn't start on it because my mom was suppose to receive a letter so I can start. But it is now April 3 and nothing has come in the mail. My mom lost a paper that showed a number to phone if it hasn't come into...

Simple problem [ 2 Answers ]

Sink will not stop dripping and getting worse.

More trigonometry... help on a rather simple problem... [ 3 Answers ]

I learned how to do this problem in Geometry... but I just can't get it right now. Or at least, the Algebra is too complex for me. Anyway, here's the problem, then I will tell you how far I got. Using a sextant, a surveyor determines that the angle of elevation of a mountain peak is 35 degrees....

View more questions Search