Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hewaschuk Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Warm air distribution in basement
    I am renovating the rec room in my basement. The heating system is forced air. Currently, the warm air in the basement is distributed through ducts in the floor joists above. The warm air outlets are in the ceiling of the rec room, so the air blows down into the room. On the first and second floors of the house the warm air comes into each room from floor level inlets, placed for the most part below a window.
    Is there a technical reason the air inlets were placed in the basement ceiling, or is this something the contractor did to save the effort of running ducts down the walls of the rooms in the basement?
    Should I run ducts down the walls and have the warm air enter the room close to floor level?
    HVACxpert Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2007, 10:58 PM
    It will make for a warmer basement if ran down the wall channels. Especially the floor. Our company always stresses the importance of blowing the air across the floor. As for the original installation I'm sure it was the way that contractor or builder was used to doing and of course the extra $ & cents.
    Have Fun!
    hewaschuk Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Thanks for your help.
    Will the amount of air coming through the duct be reduced when I lower the outlet to floor level? At this point the outlet of the duct will be about 7 feet below the plenum.

Also, the most convenient place to let the warm air into the rec room at floor level, is close to the return air duct, which is also just above the floor. If the inlet warm air duct and the colder return air duct are on the same wall, how far apart should they be?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 06:15 PM
    It is very important to add return air ducts to your basement to insure humidity and heat don't build up. You can tee into your existing return and run a vent down to 6 in off the floor. This will level out your basement temps even more than lower the supply ducts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Warm Air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Yorx Natural gas furnace. When I turn it on by the thermostat, the pilot warms up, the gas lites and air begins to blow for a few seconds. Then the gas shuts off and the system continues to blow only cold air. What is the problem?

Heater blows warm air but also cold [ 1 Answers ]

Our heater blows warm air out as it is supposed to, but also blows cold air out of the cold air return vents. Any idea on how to fix this short of replacing the system?

First no air, now air is warm [ 4 Answers ]

We had power issues a couple of days ago from Tropical Storm Ernesto, and I heard the AC go off during one of the power blips. The temps outside have been really nice for the last couple of days, so we didn't notice that there was no air coming from the vents in our house. So the unit outside has...

Basement return air vent [ 2 Answers ]

Carrier, modal 58MAC120-20, direct air forced air furnace, seven years old in a 2,700 square foot home seven years old. The basement is 1,200 square feet, open and half finished, has two supply air regesters and no return air vent. What size "opening" is recommended for this area?

HVAC cold air returns in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

What size of cold air return should I use on th ebasement approx 700squre feet two separate room with two heat vents in each 4" will do per room?? Thanks

View more questions Search