Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drnkmixr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Debt Settlement?
    Hi everyone 1st time poster and Im hoping I can get some good advice:) In the last 2 years Ive become more and more in debt. I have one credit card which I owe $27,000. Im to the point now where I just can't afford even the minimum payment. Ive talked to 2 debt settlement companies(Credit Solutions and Superior Debt) They told me they can get my settlement down to $10,800 in a three year plan. What scares me is after doing some research on debt settlement it seems like if I do it I will be sued by my cc company. With all the anxiety Ive been having for the last 2 years that's the last thing I could deal with. The only thing I have left to my name is my truck and Im having trouble selling it. My plan is to join the settlement plan and a couple months down the road(when I sell my truck) pay off my settlement amount, but Im scared ill be sued before then. I understand my credit score will go down and I'm willing to deal with that, but there's no way I could deal with getting sued. The man at superior is very helpful but I don't know if he just wants the sale or if he's really being honest. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Hello drnk:

Debt negotiators don't do anything other than what you could do for yourself. Plus, they charge a lot of money to do it. IF you did your own negotiating, then the credit card company probably won't sue you.

You just got to pick up the phone.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:48 AM
    First why be scared if they sue, it is not like criminal court. Now you don't want them to, but nothing to really fear.

Next most credit card companies don't sue if you go into credit counseling, they accept the terms of the agreement. The ones that sue are the ones that don't accept the terms of the agreement, of they sue if you break the terms of the agreement.

Also depending on your income you may even look into a chapter 13 bankruptcy

** they really want the sale, does not mean they are not honest but they will tell you the truth from their point of view.

And as excon said you can call them yourself and try to make a settlement
    my2229 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2007, 06:54 AM
    You can always file bankruptcey.. You don't can about you credit so that would be the best route. That was you are not harressed by creditors and are protected by the bankruptcey laws.

Mar 18, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Well what superior has told me is that if I sell my truck in the next couple months I can send in the settlement amount and I should be settled within the next three months from that date. If the creditors start calling they said to put Superiors address and Phone number on the change of address form so that way they deal with the creditors. Also the CC I have is through B of A and they said B of A is one of the best companies to negotiate with. When I asked them about being sued they said there is a chance but most likely not because the CC company will spend a lot of money in court cost and end up pushing me into bankruptcy and they would never get any money. He said they would much rather settle. Does all this sound true so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Next most credit card companies don't sue if you go into credit couseling, they accept the terms of the agreement. The ones that sue are the ones that don't accept the terms of the agreement, of they sue if you break the terms of the agreement.

Also depending on your income you may even look into a chapter 13 bankruptcy
    Hi Chuck, Is debt settlement considered credit counseling? Also what do you mean by accepting the terms of agreement? I make about $1,200 to $1,800 a month and just my CC is $1,600 min.

Again thanks for all the help everyone:o

Mar 18, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello drnk:

Debt negotiators don't do anything other than what you could do for yourself. Plus, they charge a lot of money to do it. IF you did your own negotiating, then the credit card company probably won't sue you.

You just gotta pick up the phone.

excon
    Hi Excon, from the research Ive done on the net it seems like the CC companies always tell you they do not negotiate. Also are you saying Im less likely to get sued if I don't use a settlement company and just talk to the CC company myself? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt settlement [ 6 Answers ]

I have just entered a dept settlement program and I am really scared. If any one has gone through this can you let me know if it did work. How long it took? My creditors are Chase and Target for approx 60k My fear is being sued. Also how long does the phone calls last from the creditors?

Debt settlement [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, a little background for you. Joined debt settlement group. Mbna is not wanting to talk to them. Mbna or collection agency for Mbna is threating a lawsuit if I don't pay in full. They called my mother-in-law and gave her information about the situation trying to get in touch with me. ...

Debt Settlement-What should I do [ 2 Answers ]

I enrolled in a program with Debt Shield about a year ago. I have since ended the program and settled 2 of the 4 cards on my own. The other 2 are with the same company, Discover Card, and on one account they filed suit. I answered the summons and countersued. It was been almost 2 months since I...

Debt settlement [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone had any luck with a settlement company for debt? I'm going through the company, Superior debt relief. Of course, I thought I did my research but everything sounds the same when comes to these companies. I checked the BBB in the area that this co. is in and no complaints in 36months and...

Debt settlement [ 6 Answers ]

This is my first and hopefully the only time that I do a debt settlement. It sounds almost to good to have your debt settled by almost 50%. I'm thinking about going through the company, expert financial services to settle. Is this company reputable. And how can a debt settlement have the power so...

View more questions Search