Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinamwg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2013, 01:04 AM
    Can my female fixed cat be pregnant
    I got a female cat 2 years ago from a rescue group, so she was fixed when I got her,. she has been an indoor/outdoor cat for 2 years.. she has always been skinny.. like she has worms, and eats everything in sight but is still skinny.. lately she won't jump up on he bed, and the last few days I have noticed that she is really fat in her belly, like she is pregnant, she still eats everything in sight, I am concerned that something is terribly wrong, and I feel around her tummy and it is solid, and it does not bother her for me to touch her or feel around.. could she be pregnant?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 04:21 AM
    After two years, your cat would not suddenly be pregnant if she is an indoor/outdoor cat; if she is not spayed, she would have been pregnant a long time ago. That is just how it works with cats. So assume that she is properly spayed and take her to the vet to find out why her stomach is so hard. It could be a very bad case of worms.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
    Cats that eat everything in sight and still gain no weight are typically hyperthyroid.

You kittie really needs to go to the vet to help her out. Hyperthyroid cats are not happy campers.. they don't feel good and are always hungry.

As for the pot belly appearance.. I would suspect worms. If she is an indoor/outdoor kittie and is ravenous for food, then I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't full of worms. A good worming regime can be purchased through your vet. The wormers found in pet stores really aren't that potent.. and if you continue to worm with low strength wormers, than the parasites actually become harder to kill and are resistant to the medications.

There is a monthy wormer out for cats... Heartgaurd for cats. It helps with the prevention of heartworms, round worms and hook worms... if you have an indoor/outdoor kittie who is going to be eating weird things, it might not be a bad thing to keep her on.

As for the surprise pregnancy... I really doubt that she is pregnant. If she's been aloud outside for over 2 years, you would have noticed this before. Cats are trollops when they are in heat and really have no shame. If they can get pregnant, than they get pregnant.

A pot belly on a skinny cat is something to be concerned of.. You should make an appointment with your vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would male cats try to mate with a female cat that has been fixed? [ 4 Answers ]

A few months ago we took a stray cat that showed up at our house to the vet to get her fixed so she can't get pregnant. Now that it is mating season male cats outside will not leave her alone. They bite her neck and try to mate with her. Is this normal? If so, why are they doing this since she...

How to tell if a female dog is fixed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, about 9 months Itook my dog to the vet to have her fixed, she is now in heat. Vet asst told me her estergin was just high. If she is fixed, and no longer has parts, how can she be in heat? Thanks

My male cat won't let me stroke our female cat when he's around why is this? [ 1 Answers ]

My male cat is very dominant towards our female cat when it comes to me if I call our female over to give her a fuss he will run in front of my hand so I can't touch her so I can give him a fuss, if I call her name she looks very nervous if the male is in the room as well and won't come by me...

If a female cat is spayed wrong can she get pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

My female cat mocha has been fixed for over 2yrs. But we got a male cat who was not fixed and as of a month ago she started not letting him around her and her tummy is getting big, I've cut back there food so they are not over eating and she sleeps a lot more than she use to.Im finding different...

Pregnant cat and another female [ 1 Answers ]

How does a prgnant cat act around other female cats? Is she more violent or more loving?:confused:

View more questions Search