Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arby Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Most output from generator
    I plan on buying a portable generator to hook up my house for emergency power, going to instal a manual transfer switch. I was wondering most generators have numerous outlets on them do I have to rewire the panel on the generator to get max output or does the 240 receptacle put out the max, I plan on putting in a 60 amp switch and buying around a 6500 watt gen.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
    The 240 volt outlet is probably a 30 or 40 amp at the most. 6500 watts at 240 is only 27 amps so don't expect too much more of the genset.

Mar 16, 2007, 01:19 PM
    How many amps at 120 would the genset be
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 01:20 PM
    27 amps each 120 volt leg.

Mar 16, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Thanks I might look at a little bigger genset
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Mar 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Since I work for a power utility.. PLEASE be sure to install the transfer switch and USE it. One of the scariest things is to hear generators going when the power is out in an area. Especially for support people who don't work around wires all the time.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 02:41 PM
    I have a generator rated at 6250. The fine print says 5000 continuos. I added up my furnace, pump, refrigerator, and freezer and if I ran them all at once, it would only add up to 4,000 watts. You should be able to do quite a bit with that size generator. Be sure and look at the interlock plates. If you have a newer Square D box, they may be as cheap as $16. With the interlock plate, you can use any circuit in the house, just not all at once. Do a search here generator + connect.

There have been some reports here of furnaces refusing to run on a generator. It may require careful attention to grounding and good voltage regulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low speaker sound output... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm using Windows XP, and have got a problem (I seem to be having a lot of these lately). The sound output on my laptop has gone from really good (as usual) to extremely low, even with the speakers on maximum. (and unmuted) I'm not sure what the problem could be, as the laptop is...

DirectSound output v2.2.6 error [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new Soundblaster soundcard and installed the associated software. This not only corrupted a bunch of my files, it also prevented my old sound card from working. I removed all the software and hardware, restored my computer to an earlier date and reinstalled my old soundcard. All...

Simple (but annoying) output problem... [ 1 Answers ]

I'm hoping someone will immediately know the answer to this... I need to print out a " in a java console app, but I don't know how to do this, since what you plan on printing out is supposed to be surrounded by quotes. Please help, thanks!

View more questions Search