Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toddbailey Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
    PV Solar grounding
    The schematic provided from wholesale solar calls for a #6 ground wire.
    This seems a bit excessive as the remaining conductors are #10.
    Fwiw: Grid tied system using 13 250 watt panels connected to micro inverters (enphase), 240 ac from roof to panel.

I looked in the NEC book and it's a bit confusing

Opinions please.

Note: some may reply with the one liner "speak with your local ahj".
    What ever that is. What is a ahj and where do I find and ask questions?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 05:18 AM
    "AHJ" - Authority having jurisdiction. AKA, your local inspector.

The grounding electrode and the grounding electrode conductor (or GEC) have nothing to do with the circuit or equipment grounding (the ground run with the circuit conductors).
    Grounding electrodes are for lightning and other very high voltage surges. This is why it needs to be sized as it is.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 05:49 AM
    NEC Article 690.46 may be the article that applies here...
    The #6 AWG is used to connect (or bond) all of the mounting frames and panels to each other. 250.120(C) will allow a smaller conductor but only if it protected by a raceway.
    As far as the installation instructions are concerned, they are enforceable by the code official and are required to followed by NEC 110.3(B).
    Many inspectors are very helpful and actually do appreciate phone calls and questions from installers as it helps the inspection process proceed more smoothly...
    toddbailey Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
    Thanks, I wasn't able to find a recent NEC handbook for reading the 2001 provided a fair bit of info, in some cases it referred to NFPA (national fire protection) documentation.

I initially didn't realize that a solar panel array and mounting hardware couldact as a big lighting rod, so I now understand the requirement for #6 grounding wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solar Technology [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I completed my engineering in electronics background. I want to take a study on solar energy, cells and renewable energy. *** guide me.

Grounding an outlet with a grounding pigtail [ 5 Answers ]

I was helping a friend replace outlets in his old house. The original outlets have two wires and no ground. They are mounted in a metal box. We installed the new 3 pronge outlets and used grounding pigtails to ground them to the metal box. We turned the power back on after completion and none...

Differnce between neutral grounding and separated grounding [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between neutral and separate grounding?? Why and when do you defer between them?? Basically why do we ground, what's its purpose and what are the differences between the varying methods. I hope I don't sound dumb but the US NAVY nuclear electrical school didn't teach me ...

Solar system [ 2 Answers ]

Which planet has the most natural satellites?

Solar Covers [ 2 Answers ]

Last summer we purchased a new solar cover for our above ground pool and on the recommendation of the pool guy we bought a thicker, more expensive one to help keep it warmer. It seems to be having the opposite affect. I get frustrated because the season is so short here in Ohio but the water is...

View more questions Search