Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelfie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2005, 07:58 AM
    Fleas Treatment for 2 week old kittens
    My New Cat had her Kittens - 4 cute little ones, :D

My question is how can I treat them to prevent fleas. I had a Flea collar on the mother until a few day before her litter was born(she got it off) And I was advise to take it off, to make sure it didn't harm the litter

I am not sure, but I think I saw a flea on one of the kittens. I want to keep on top of this problem as I don't want them spreading through the house and getting into the kids rooms. I would prefer a natural method if possible, as my daughter has Asthma and I need to watch what I bring into the house
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2005, 03:43 PM
    First, flea collars are not a good idea - they really don't help much, and they can be toxic to cats. I recommend using Advantage or Frontline for cats.

The vet clinic I work for also has a shelter license, and we rescue kittens and cats. We've had MANY stray and sick litters come in this year, most of which were covered in fleas. We make sure that the environments are treated where the little ones will be staying. We recommend Flea Stoppers powder, as it's non-toxic to pets and kids and has no smell. It also lasts for a year! Better than those messy, dangerous bombs or sprays... If the kittens only have a few fleas, this will keep them from multiplying and infesting them.

If you start seeing a bunch of fleas, you can apply 2-3 DROPS of Advantage to each one to help kill of any fleas that are on them. Also, if they are really infested with them, you can get some flea/tick shampoo from vets (we carry EctoKyl) and you can dilute this and give the babies a short bath to get rid of them. If you do this, be sure to dry them quickly and then put them in a nice warm bed (a heating pad with a towel over it works great).

If a flea problem is left too long, the kittens can lose enough blood to become anemic, and can die from this if left untreated. So, keep a close eye on those fleas and seek vet help if you need it.
    Good luck.
    shelfie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2005, 08:12 PM
    Thanks tiger_3leg,

I went to the vets today and purchased some of the advantage. ( I was going anyway with my dog, so I asked the vet)

I have checked the kittens again and haven't found any fleas, I thought I saw one, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I am going to treat them just in case, as I really don't want to have problems down the track.

Could you advise me where to get the flea stoppers powder? I want to use this as well. As the cat and her kittens have nested in my waldrobe, and it would be the perfect spot for fleas to thrive, and I want to catch/prevent it :D
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger_3leg
    First, flea collars are not a good idea - they really don't help much, and they can be toxic to cats. I recommend using Advantage or Frontline for cats.

The vet clinic I work for also has a shelter license, and we rescue kittens and cats. We've had MANY stray and sick litters come in this year, most of which were covered in fleas. We make sure that the environments are treated where the little ones will be staying. We recommend Flea Stoppers powder, as it's non-toxic to pets and kids and has no smell. It also lasts for a year! Better than those messy, dangerous bombs or sprays.... If the kittens only have a few fleas, this will keep them from multiplying and infesting them.

If you start seeing a bunch of fleas, you can apply 2-3 DROPS of Advantage to each one to help kill of any fleas that are on them. Also, if they are really infested with them, you can get some flea/tick shampoo from vets (we carry EctoKyl) and you can dilute this and give the babies a short bath to get rid of them. If you do this, be sure to dry them quickly and then put them in a nice warm bed (a heating pad with a towel over it works great).

If a flea problem is left too long, the kittens can lose enough blood to become anemic, and can die from this if left untreated. So, keep a close eye on those fleas and seek vet help if you need it.
    Good luck.
    Just wanted to thank you for the mention of the Flea Stoppers Powder. I'm always looking for non-toxic things to use for my dog as I am very wary of chemicals but I know sometime you do have to use them but I sprinkle salt into my carpets (table salt) leave it in there for a few days then vacuum it up as I did a search on the net and this was a suggestion as it suffocates the fleas and then you just vacuum and no more fleas. You have to repeat this over about a 3 week period and this also works. I use it all the time when my dog gets fleas from the stray cats that wander through my yard.
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2005, 10:29 AM
    Some vets carry the Flea Stoppers, but you can also order it online. The best online price I've found so far is at www.pestproducts.com/flea_stoppers.htm.
    chloe95 Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2009, 12:40 PM

Hi,
    My cat has just had 4 babies too!
    We wormed them at about 7 weeks with this liquid & you just squirt it onto their necks but I don't think your meant to Flea the kittens until they are at least 9 weeks old. I found this out as I was fleaing my cat this morning and when reading the back of the can I saw it said not to be used for kittens under the age of 9 weeks. So there you have it :)

Xxx
    chazzad140508 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 03:55 PM
    I have 2 sets of 4 kittens.. the younger lot (4 days old) don't have many fleas but the other lot (8 days old) have 4/5 fleas on each kitten.. the mothers are being treated at the vets tomorrow, but any advice on how to treat the babies? Xx
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 05:18 PM
    With kittens this young you need to be really careful, while you have your mother cats at the vet tomorrow is the perfect time to ask about preventing fleas on the kittens.
    You should plan to take the kittens in with their mothers in warm bedding and safely in separate boxes or carriers.
    Your mother cats may get upset and anxious if you remove them from their babies and your vet can give them a quick look.
    Everyone will naturally want to hold your kittens and cuddle them, you would be wise not to allow too many hands on them only the one or two people who may be checking weights and of course the veterinarian.
    jessiibee123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 12:50 AM
    Hey;
    My friends cat recently had 5 beautiful kittens :D
    There so adorable there around 3weeks old in about 4days
    When I picked one up the other day I found about 2 fleas on one of them now my friend has took them to the vet she took the vets advice to separate the kittens from the mum and spray some flea spray on the mum and she changed the bedding and all was okay until they git mire flea's! Me and my friend have know each other for around 8years so I'm there most of the time so we'r both trying to save these kittens!! someone help :(
    jessiibee123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 12:51 AM
    They got *

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 3 week old kitten has fleas help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hiya my kittens have just caught fleas off a homeless cat I took in and because there so young I don't know what to do I hate fleas there horrible I've just done all my older cats with bobmartin back of the neck stuff but powders and things say not to be used until 12 weeks etc what can I use?...

2 Six Week Old Kittens.. One Won't Eat! [ 2 Answers ]

I recently acquired two six-week old kittens (or at least so I was told)... one of them, a female tabby, will eat wet food, and the other, a black male, won't eat at all... This is after a day and a half, and I am very worried now because he hasn't appeared to have eaten a single bite as of yet!...

My 2 week. Old kittens have fleas [ 17 Answers ]

My 2 week old kittens have fleas really bad and all the meds say they have to be 12 weeks to use on them. I'm desperate to do something before they end up dying. Can anyone help me. I'm afraid I don't have much time!:(

6 Week Old Puppy has Fleas! [ 8 Answers ]

Are 2 older dogs had fleas, so got 2 flea collars for them. Now are puppy is getting fleas and she is only 6 weeks old, what's the best treatment for a puppy so young? Also what's best for the older dogs?

Kittens and fleas [ 5 Answers ]

I have four kittens that have fleas and I don't know how to get rid of them.:( Can some one help me! Thank you

View more questions Search