Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Mar 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Is the IUD a good method of birth control?
    My doctor suggested that I get the IUD. Has anyone been on that birth control, and is it safe and effiecent?
    MadamButterfly Posts: 54, Reputation: 12

Mar 13, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsqueen
    My doctor suggested that I get the IUD. Has anyone been on that birth control, and is it safe and effiecent?
    Hello,

I wrote a bit about the IUD here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...wer-69874.html

Mar 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Thank you
    MadamButterfly Posts: 54, Reputation: 12

Mar 13, 2007, 06:34 PM
    I also want to add that the IUD is ideal if you plan on having children later in life, because it contains little to no hormones (the ParaGard - Copper T 380A- contains no hormones whatsoever). Because the IUD contains so little artificial hormones, when you are ready to become pregnant, you simply remove the IUD. Other forms of contraceptives which contain higher amounts of hormones can upset your body's natural "balance", which means that, after continual use, it may take years for your body to readjust (making it very difficult if you are trying to get pregnant).

Also:

Contraindictions

The WHO Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use and RCOG Faculty of Family Planning & Reproductive Health Care (FFPRHC) UK Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use list the following as conditions where insertion of a copper IUD is not usually recommended (category 3) or conditions where a copper IUD should not be inserted (category 4):

Category 3. Conditions where the theoretical or proven risks usually outweigh the advantages of inserting a copper IUD:

Postpartum between 48 hours and 4 weeks (increased IUD expulsion rate with delayed postpartum insertion)
    Benign gestational trophoblastic disease
    Ovarian cancer
    Very high individual likelihood of exposure to gonorrhea or chlamydial STIs
    AIDS (unless clinically well on anti-retroviral therapy)
    Category 4. Conditions which represent an unacceptable health risk if a copper IUD is inserted:

Pregnancy
    Postpartum puerperal sepsis
    Immediately post-septic abortion
    Before evaluation of unexplained vaginal bleeding suspected of being a serious condition
    Malignant gestational trophoblastic disease
    Cervical cancer (awaiting treatment)
    Endometrial cancer
    Distortions of the uterine cavity by uterine fibroids or anatomical abnormalities
    Current PID
    Current purulent cervicitis, chlamydial infection, or gonorrheal STIs
    Known pelvic tuberculosis
    Adverse reactions have been reported in women with metal allergies, both copper and nickel. An anecdotal report on a LiveJournal community group journal states that the wires wrapped around the T-frame of the ParaGard IUD are nickel wires plated with copper.

While nulliparous women (women who have never given birth) are somewhat more likely to have side effects, this is not a contraindication for IUD use.

Some doctors prefer to insert the IUD during menstruation to verify that the woman is not pregnant at the time of insertion. However, IUDs may safely be inserted at any time during the menstrual cycle as long as it is reasonably certain the woman is not pregnant. Insertion may be more comfortable if done midcycle, when the cervix is naturally dilated.

Side Effects and Complications:

Insertion of the IUD may introduce bacteria into the uterus. The insertion process carries a small, transient increased risk of PID in the first 20 days following insertion. It is very important that the provider use proper infection-prevention techniques during insertion. Antibiotics should be given before insertion to women at high risk for endocarditis (inflammation of the membrane lining the heart), but should not be used routinely.

During the placement appointment, the cervix is dilated in order to sound (measure) the uterus and insert the IUD. Cervix dilation is uncomfortable and, for some women, painful. Doctors often advise women to take painkillers before the procedure to reduce discomfort, and some will use a local anaesthetic.

After IUD insertion, menstrual periods are often heavier, more painful, or both - especially for the first few months after they are inserted. On average, menstrual blood loss increases by 20–50% after insertion of a copper-T IUD; increased menstrual discomfort is the most common medical reason for IUD removal.

Complications include expulsion and uterine perforation. Uterine perforation is generally caused by an inexperienced provider and is very rare. Expulsion is more common in younger women, women who have not had children, and when an IUD is inserted immediately after childbirth or abortion. Women should check the string of the IUD at least once per menstrual cycle to verify that it is still in place.

The string(s) may be felt by some men during intercourse. If this is problematic, the provider may cut the strings even with the cervix, so they cannot be felt. Shortening the strings does prevent the woman from checking for expulsion, however.

The risk of ectopic pregnancy to a woman using an IUD is lower than the risk of ectopic pregnancy to a woman using no form of birth control. However, of pregnancies that do occur during IUD use, a higher than expected percentage (3–4%) are ectopic.

Although the pregnancy rate during IUD use is very low (less than 1% per year), it is not a 100% effective method of birth control. If pregnancy does occur, presence of the IUD increases the risk of miscarriage, particularly during the second trimester. It also increases the risk of premature delivery. These increased risks end if the IUD is removed after pregnancy is discovered. Although the Dalkon Shield IUD was associated with septic abortions (infections associated with miscarriage), other brands of IUD are not. IUDs are also not associated with birth defects or other pregnancy complications
    ILoveMyFamily Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
    I just removed my IUD after having it for a year & learned of the elevated risks for bacterial infections which can later lead to infertility and infection in the entire pelvic cavity. I would say, if you're committed to not getting pregnant & being hormone free, use a condom and spermicide. It is very convenient, sure, but the risks are great. Madame Butterfly has all the info above you need to make an informed decision. I having had one will not personally recommend it to anyone nor will I have another implanted again.
    kellkell Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2007, 06:47 PM
    I have it. I have not had any issues, what so ever. No infections, but that is me. I don't regret getting it and I will continue with this method of birth control.

May 8, 2007, 07:22 PM
    I am getting mine on May 17th... does it hurt when they implant it? Does it hurt after?

May 8, 2007, 08:54 PM
    I don't remember it hurting just discomfort. Personally for me it was less painful than a pap smear. I felt normal after and I don't "feel" like I have some foreign object in my body (lol). Your body is an amazing machine. Listen to it, keep yourself informed, and define your own personal boundaries.

I have had mine for over two years and will be going in soon for another check up and will probably get it changed for a new one.

Good luck and enjoy? :)

May 9, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Also is it wise to take the day off work after getting it? I have a very low pain tolerance so I don't know if I will be able to work after getting it.

May 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Lol. It isn't surgery. I was fine no pain.
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMyFamily
    I just removed my IUD after having it for a year & learned of the elevated risks for bacterial infections which can later lead to infertility and infection in the entire pelvic cavity. I would say, if you're committed to not getting pregnant & being hormone free, use a condom and spermicide. It is very convienient, sure, but the risks are great. Madame Butterfly has all the info above you need to make an informed decision. I having had one will not personally recommend it to anyone nor will I have another implanted again.

I have tried many types of because methods and I can say from personal experience I would never do an IUD again. Agreed everyone is different but mine caused an infection and I ended up needing a hysteroctomy (no more kids for me).
    Again everyone is different and you need to discuss with your doctor the risks of ANY form of birth control, there are a lot more options then there used to be. The best thing is to figure out the best one for you.
    jcjones Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 10:16 PM
    I have an IUD and I had it put in right after my baby was born on the 6th week checkup thing. So my insides hadn't shrunk yet to the original size. I experienced discomfort but it was over in minutes. Are you getting this done after a recent delivery? Because my friends who got it with out a delivery said that it did hurt. I would take the day off or at least have that option should you feel yucky. I also have a low pain tolerance and I felt uncomfortable all day. I do however love it now. It's been over 3 years and I don't have a period or have to worry about getting pregnant until I'm ready. Good luck!

May 17, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Ahhhh, are your sure you have an IUD. It doesn't inhibit you from getting your period. Are you on DepotPrevera too, but that is a shot you need to keep getting?

May 17, 2007, 07:28 AM
    I am getting it after 2 years, I had a baby two years ago, I am taking the day off just in case. I am going to go get it today so wish me luck.

May 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Well actually I had a period for maybe the first couple of months after they put it in. But for the last two and a half years I haven't. They said it's because the iud keeps the wall lining from building up so there's nothing to sluff off. I kind of miss my period every so once in a while. I don't have anything to blame my bad mood or eating frenzies on. They also said that you still go through the emotions just not the physical period itself. I've been on the depro shot. Nasty birth control that was, never again! I had a shot right before I got married and had a slite period the first three months of my marriage, yuck! And It took 18 months to get out of my system. I had a really hard time concieving my first child.
    I hope that it goes well with you today at the doctors office. Let us know how it went.

May 17, 2007, 04:11 PM
    I guess everyone is different. I still get my monthly. I have to agree though that the shot sucks. I gained so much weight so fast and my eating habits had not changed nor my physical activity. It was awful.
    Bellasmom Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsqueen
    I have had mirena in for a year now and it has worked for me. I like the IUD because you don't have to worry about taking the oill everyday. That is how I ended up with my daughter.

May 17, 2007, 08:55 PM
    So I got it put in and IT HURT SO BAD! The doctor pulled at my uterus and it felt like contractions. I have had cramping all day and I have been laying down all day. I hope it works for how bad it hurt. Maybe it hurt so much because I had it two years after my delivery.

May 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
    I'm sorry! It will get better I promise and then you'll really like not having to worry about getting pregnant.

May 18, 2007, 01:49 PM
    I am so sorry you had a rough time. I had mine put in not long after having my daughter. I didn't even think that would have affected the comfort factor. It will get better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control [ 5 Answers ]

My period is highly irregular, and I frequently get bad symptoms. My doctor suggested I go on birth control to help regulate it, but I'm only fourteen and my mother seems to have a problem with it even though I'm already on other medications for depression. What should I do? :confused:

Birth Control [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here it goes I had to stop taking my birth control about 2 months ago because I make too much money so my medicaid was taken away so anyway I don't know if I am stressed or just paranoid or what but I came on my cycle twice in November and the last time I had my cycle was Dec 5 and I haven't had...

Pills are good for Birth control? [ 3 Answers ]

HI there! I want to start the pills for birth control?I don't have children.Is there any problem with the pills,if I want to have baby after 1 year? PLease help me.

Birth Control [ 3 Answers ]

HI there I was just wondering if I could be pregnant.. I am on the pill and have been for 3 months now... I am on my 3 month now... But on the 8th day of taking the pill my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex... I should be getting my period today and I feel crampy but nothing has shown yet. I am...

Birth Control [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if you have been taking birth control for a really long time and you think you might be pregnant. Could the birth control screw up the results?

View more questions Search