Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tellmeonce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 03:19 PM
    How do I forgive my wife's affair?
    I've been with my wife for 21 yrs married for half that time, I just found out that she had a 3 year affair starting the year before we got married and continued for the for two years after the wedding. I've always been in love with her and still am, but I can't get the notion of her betraying me and the length of time is a killer.

How do I get over this? When we make love I see them together not me. I need help so I can continue my life with her because that's what I truly want, but I can't forget it. I don't think I'll be able to stay with her. We are seeing a Marriage Councelor but its not helping with the visions.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
    I am afraid that this could take years to get over, and you may never forget. Stick with the counseling. In time you will cope better with your feelings.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
    Does she still love you ? Big question
    tellmeonce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
    I believe she does, the other issue is that it in the past for her and fresh for me.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 31, 2012, 08:30 AM
    I agree that you should stick with counseling. It's a great step that you've taken to get outside help and that you're willing to work on your marriage.

It is new information to you, but be comforted that it ended between them several years ago. As for the visions, you might need to find other ways to distract yourself by replacing those thoughts with others. It's something you'd actually have to "work" at learning to put into practice. Your counselor might be able to help you with this sort of technique.

It may take quite a bit of time for you to move on, but that's understandable. If you're a man of faith, you might consider praying for the strength and wisdom to forgive and move forward.
    coachrollo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 12:42 PM
    Its never easy to forget and you may never. To forgive is for your sanity and your marriages. If we never lern to forgive we leave an open door for Satan. Go to YouTube and watch Pastor Mark Gungor. He explains it very clearly.It is very hard to do but if your marriage is importatnt you can get through this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can she forgive me for having a Text-Only Affair? [ 5 Answers ]

I cheated on my wife (text messages only), I feel like I've lost her, I know I hurt her. We have known each other for 11 years, and married for six, with a two year old. Can she ever trust me again?

I had an affair but my wife won't forgive me [ 13 Answers ]

I am the cheating spouse. I had the affair. I understand her pain and I understand what I did was wrong and devastating, but the vileness in her contempt is destroying what love we have for each, other if any. I don't know what to do! Can someone help me?:(

When will I get over my wife's affair? [ 15 Answers ]

In Brief: I have been married 7 yrs. My wife and I are late 30's. I thought things were good in the relationship with my wife. My wife had enough of my controlling and "take over" way that I handled the relationship. So, she started going out with some single friends in Feb 2007. First weeknights.....

Wife had an affair [ 19 Answers ]

Ours was a love marriage in 2001 against our family wishes : 6 years of courtship and 8 years of married life : Today I come to know my wife starting loving another person last year : no physical relationship but she had love feelings for him : I am completely broke : iloved her more than anyone in...

View more questions Search