Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 08:15 AM
    how are dividends paid in shares instead of cash, taxed?
    If I receive dividends in more shares of the company,.

a) How are they taxed?
    b) When I sell those shares recveived as dividends, is the cost basis zero or the market value at the date I received them?

If you can reference your answer to IRS publication that backs your reply I will appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
    It depends. Often stock distributions are not taxed, but are treated esssentially like a stock split - you end up with more shares in the company but with a reduced cost basis per share.

However, some stock distributions are taxable. - typically if it was your choice to receive stock in place of cash, or if the company gave cash to some shareowners and stock to others. For example the dividends that fund the purchase of additional shares in a divident reinvestment plan are taxable. If the stock distribution is taxable it is treated as dividend income. You report the income amount on Schedule B as the fair market value of the shares on the date they were distributed, and you should receive a 1099-DIV form from the stock registrar that will provide the exact value. You treat this lot of stock separately from your origial lot as it has a differebt cost basis and holding oeriod - it has a purchase date = dividend date, and cost basis = FMV as of the dividend date.

For reference see IRS Pub 550: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p550...blink100010089

Oct 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
    Thank you. To give you more informaton, these are shares from a company in Spain. At the time of paying dividends, they ask you to choose if you wish to receive the dividend either in a) Cash (Cash Dividend) or b) in more stock (Stock Dividend). If you choose Stock Diviend, you avoid the 25% Spanish Income tax witholding.

Based on what you mention, and what I also believe I read somewhere before, the cost basis will be the fair market value of this stock at the date of distribution.

a) Is this correct?
    b) if so, what date is officially the date of distribution?

Thank you again for your support!

Th
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
    a) Yes.

b) That information should be on your account statement.

Oct 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    a) Yes.

b) That information should be on your account statement.
    Thank you!

Gus
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How are dividends/disbursements paid to shareholders on dissolution of business taxed [ 0 Answers ]

The business pays taxes on all retained earnings. The dividends declared are comprised of retained earnings. Should the shareholder receiving the dividend have to pay taxes on the amount again?

How to calculate stock dividends shares and cash dividends amounts [ 5 Answers ]

You owe 600 shares of Blueco, Inc. common stock and that you currently receive cash dividends of $.42 per share per year A. If Blueco Inc declared a 5% stock dividend, how many shares of commons stock would you receive as a dividend? B. Calculate the cash dividend per share amount to be paid...

How are non-residents aliens taxed on Capital Gain (shares), Dividends and Interest? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in the US from 2000-2004. I've lived outside the US since 2004. I held a green card for 6 odd years before surrendering it on 31-Dec-07. For the years 2004-2007, I filed as tax resident even though I was out of the country, because I held a green card. Its time to file my...

Cash Dividends on shares [ 2 Answers ]

When a board declares a cash dividend on resulting shares after a 10 percent stock dividend does that mean that you add the outstanding and the stock dividends together and then multiply them by the $ per share?:confused:

View more questions Search