Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loki317 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
    9 week old Great Dane
    How do I keep my puppy from jumping and biting?
    I play with him a lot to try to us up some of his energy.
    Any ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Consistently is very important in correcting jumping and other problems. Quickly correcting him every time he jumps on somebody is very important. Something bad has to happen each time. People are successful with a number of different things. One of the most gentle is to grab his front paws and hold him up. The traditional knee to the chest or step on his paws work well too. In each case apply ''Bad dog, its name off!'' in a firm, but not loud voice. I attended a training seminarlast fall. The presenter gave a very effective demenstration of turning your back and walking away. Go ahead with it even if he is too quick to add a physical correction.

Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about
    Biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting
    Another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are
    Alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months
    They are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking
    Moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another
    Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find
    One that won't yelp and jerk their hand away, or growl "Bad dog." and clamp
    Their mouth shut. Then offer a chew toy. They keep trying despite hundreds
    Of corrections. Another good technique is to quit playing and go away. Be
    Sure to praise them when they are playing nice and not biting.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens.
    Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can
    Chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords.
    Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.

There is more useful information for the new puppy owner in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Great dane [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a great dane and he is about 5 month old and wheighs 60 lb. I just want to know what I can expect on how big he is going to be in height and wheight? Thank James

Great Dane owners... [ 9 Answers ]

I always wanted to have a Great Dane. But need to know how they interact with children. We have 3 small children at home ages 4, 6 and 8. I was concerned that if we adopted a small breed dog, that one of the kids might accidentally hurt it by falling on it. I've heard that the Danes have great...

My Great Dane doesn't like to Eat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a rather large problem with our pet Dane. He has no interest in any kind of food that dogs are meant to eat. He is now 20 months old and we have had nothing but problems with him over his lack of eating. He has never showen any interest in food other than cat food. But just...

7 week old Great Dane Puppy Deaf? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. We recently purchased a great dane puppy that we believe maybe deaf. I have been on line to see what we can do and have done all the test, like hitting 2 pots together behind her, snapping, calling her, rang bells behind her also and yet she does not seem to move away or even look to...

Great dane in heat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a female great dane that is just nine months old. She is my first female dog of any kind, and just went into heat for the first time starting yesterday. I was wondering how long it lasts and how often it happens. I bought her a doggie diaper and absorbent pads which she willingly wears in...

View more questions Search