Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CinLynn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
    Pro squatter
    I fell for a story of a woman that claimed she was in the "victims of crime" program so I couldn't do a extensive back ground check as usual, & 3 going 4 months later she hasn't paid a dime. I have found out she has a active warrant for her arrest in Seattle. My question is, if I call the cops & turn her in, she gets arrested, can I take over the apartment at this time? I manage a small apartment bldg in Tacoma, WA. And I want to know if I can get rid of her this way, or will I still have to go through eviction process?
    winhart Posts: 10, Reputation: -1

Oct 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Report to the police. You'll have to give them some time to investigate the matter.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Unless your lease says that the arrest of the tenant automatically terminates the lease you're going to have to go through the regular eviction process. I would immediately start the process by giving her a written 3 day notice to pay or quit.

Oct 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Unless your lease says that the arrest of the tenant automatically terminates the lease you're going to have to go through the regular eviction process. I would immediately start the process by giving her a written 3 day notice to pay or quit.
    Already did. She is forcing us to go through evection. I was just hoping this could be a quick way out if she was arrested. What if her arrest leads to serving time?

Oct 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    if she gets arrested & it leads to serving time, how long does the apt set empty before I can take it over?
    Expert

Oct 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
    If she gets arrested you still have to go through the formal eviction process. Since you've already given her the 3 day pay or quit you may as well just file the eviction lawsuit now.

Oct 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Warrant for squatters arrest
    I've had this squatter in a apt for 3 going on 4 months now. She is forcing us to evict her. My question is, she has a active warrant for her arrest. If she was arrested & it leads to her having to serve time, how long does the apartment set empty before I can't take it back? This could be less expensive if it's not a long amount of time.
    Expert

Oct 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Please don't start a new thread for the same question.

As I already answered, unless your lease with her says that the tenancy is terminated if the tenant is arrested, if she gets arrested you still have to go through a formal eviction process to have her tenancy terminated. You would have to file a lawsuit for eviction based on abandonment of the premises and would have to wait a minimum of 30 days after posting a notice on the door before you could file the eviction lawsuit. Since you've already given her a 3 day pay or quit notice for non-payment you could file an eviction lawsuit now. Calling the police and having her arrested will not end her tenancy any sooner.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
    I agree with Lisa, however, I would still report it. Depending on the nature of the crime, she may be incarcerated. If she is, it will help you obtain the eviction.

My question is why did you wait 3 months? Especially when you weren't able to do a background check (and you should have done one anyway),you should have given her a pay or quit the moment the first rent payment was late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get rid of a squatter? [ 2 Answers ]

2 months ago a friend of mine was being evicted from her rental. I offered to let her stay at first, for several days in between moving from place to place. She then said she couldn`t find a place, and feeling bad for her I offered to let her stay for 1 but not more then 2 weeks. She then came...

Squatter? [ 5 Answers ]

My so called friend moved in with his girlfriend. I offered him a free place to stay for 2 months to get on his feet. He insisted he would rather pay and be able to stay. We verbally agreed to 700 a month for everything( a steal in NJ) He has paid 400 but is 1000 behind. Since I offered him a...

A Squatter? [ 6 Answers ]

What documents need to be shown when accused of squatter in a rental home

How to get rid of a squatter [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have property in the desert, we go there to have fun, we have our toys out there, my husbands brother had left Oregon for who knows what reason had decided to make himself at home on our property without our permission every time my husband told him to get off our property he...

Can I be a squatter [ 2 Answers ]

There is a house that is across the road from someone I know that has been abandoned for a while. The yard is out of control. If I were to move in there and start living there and cleaning the place up. What legal action will the owner have against me if they show up?

View more questions Search