Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Idontwantabreak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 09:55 PM
    My girlfriend wants a break after 3 1/2 years
    My girlfriend and I have been dating for 3 1/2 years now. We started dating when I was 18 and she was 15 I'm now 22 and she's 19. A couple of months ago we moved off to college together and share an apartment together. Before now neither one of us had ever lived outside our parents homes so the move was kind of stressful. Over the last month or so since we've moved we've been fighting more than usual. We are two people who have always been upfront with each other and have always shared the same thoughts on our relationship... Until now things are kind of tricky. We have spent the last 3 years together pretty much nonstop. We always did everything together whether it was just the two of us or a group. My girlfriend last week all of a sudden said she wants a break. She feels like we don't have enough independence from each other and that we need to learn to do things on our own and discover some things we like to do that the other may necessarily not. Before we would always give up something we wanted to do if we thought the other one didn't because we wanted to be able to do everything together. We've talked a lot and I agree with her that we could both really use some individual hobbies that we can do on our own without feeling guilty for leaving the other out. So the good news is we agree that this would be a change for the better regarding our relationship except she still wants a break. She thinks it'll be easier to work on individual goals without the extra pressure of a relationship and that may be true. However when I ask her about us getting back together she always tells me to stop because getting back together isn't her focus right now and that even though we've always been a great couple she says there's no guarantee we will end up together again but we agreed that neither one of us want to see other people and that when the time comes that she wants a relationship we'll try to work things out. I guess the hardest thing I'm having trouble with is wrapping my head around the whole situation and the fact that she's not even willing to talk about us getting back together and that she doesn't see me that way right now. I know her better than anyone and its clear as day that she still loves me and has feelings for me but I can tell she's fighting back these feelings and I'm just not sure why? If anyone has any thoughts on this I'm all ears.
    C0bra_M3nace Posts: 1,296, Reputation: 223
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Sounds like she's just bored of the relationship and is trying to find a way out. Typically, people use a break as a tactic to break up, because it's a lot easier than just flat out breaking up. Now don't get me wrong, some people have successful relationships following a break, but the odds are against it.

You shouldn't have to sacrifice a relationship to find independence, that's an immediate red flag. You should be able to do the things you want to do regardless of the "extra pressures of a relationship". If you both were such an amazing couple you'd tackle this problem together, not apart.

Take this break as a time to start moving on. Come to grips with the fact that you may not be together again. For your own good, don't wait around for this girl to make up her mind. Live your life. If she doesn't want to be a part of if then that's her problem, it shouldn't be yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend of almost 3 years wants a break? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone So my girlfriend and I being dating for 2 years and a half. We loved each others dearly, but things weren't going good. For Instance, we didn't really have sex for a long time. Every time I try to have sex, she be telling she is not in the mood for it. I tried few times until I fed...

My girlfriend of 4 years wants a break [ 2 Answers ]

I have been dating my girlfriend for 4 years. The other night she told me that she has been stressed with school and work and has been thinking a lot and thinks we should take a break. We are both in college and are both each other 1st real serious relationship partner. She says that before she...

Girlfriend of 2 years wants a break [ 13 Answers ]

Hey, My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years now and for the most part things have been great. We have gone on 2 or 3 day "breaks" a few times throughout our relationship, usually because she said she wants to be independent and make her own decisions without having to worry...

My girlfriend of four years wants to take a break [ 10 Answers ]

We met in high school when she was 15 I was 17, we moved in together after she graduated we have been having fights over stupid things a lot maybe every other day, but we always make up, she has been wanting to go out with friends more which is healthy for our time apart but on night I wanted to go...

Girlfriend says she wants a break after two years. [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with this girl for almost 2 yrs this upcoming October. We started in h.s and through our 1st yr away at college. I'm 20 and she is about to be 20 soon. We go to different schools so that was hard for us but we overcame it. We were each others first sexual partners and we really loved...

View more questions Search