Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2005, 06:11 PM
    Drain hole in tub rusted and too big
    Hello Plumbing Geniuses,

I have a bath tub that looks like it has been leaking for years at the tub drain. Consequently, the hole in the bottom of the tub is rotten and rusted around the edges, and bigger than it should be. The new drain replacement will not fit securely and there could be renewed leaking.

A plumbing supply house recommended epoxy putty to secure the new drain in place, but cautioned me that I could never get this out again once installed. Can I use the epoxy putty to build up the hole first, let it harden, and then insert the drain?

The tub is in a tiny bathroom, and would be most difficult to replace.

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,

Glenn
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Without the drain in place, it would be tough to get the epoxy smooth enough. If you smear the drain with grease where it contacts the epoxy, the epoxy won't bond to it. You could also cut like a gasket out of a plastic bag and put it between the drain and epoxy.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 8, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Drain hole in tub rusted and too big
    Hey Glen, Good holidays?
    If you really wish to spruce up that tub why not consider a tub liner. Check out the FQ's on loners at; http://www.bathtub-liners.com/how-to...ll-repair.html
    That would take care of that drain hole and any other discolorations and imperfections and give your tub a new look. Cheers, Tom
    tjnelson12345 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Your questions is not uncommon. A professional can fix the drain.
    I am a tub repair professional who is out of Greenville SC.

Tom Nelson
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 10:15 AM

Hmmmmm... Please, let me know what you did with it ! I kind of think it is impossible to do w/o seriously compromising the finished look. Can you post a photo of the final installation to prove me wrong ? Thanks !
    tjnelson12345 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 10:31 AM

A professional uses special materials to form and color the unit back to original appearance.
    I do this on a daily basis for the manufactures, Builders, Homeowners, Etc. You will need to contact someone in your area. For more information or pictures go to Bathroom Refinishing, Bathtub Repairs, Acrylic Tubliners, Countertop Repair & Refinishing, Bath & Kitchen Remodeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rusted drain pipe broke off, how do I fix it... [ 1 Answers ]

We were having some kitchen cabinets installed and the drain pipe the goes into the wall for the sink broke off, well part of the threads broke off inside the 45 deg. Connector inside the wall. I can see the 45 deg connector and it looks fine and so does the pipe inside the wall, we removed the...

Washer hose rusted on [ 1 Answers ]

My brother in law just bought an old house, from the 50's. As they were installing the new washer they noticed the old cold water hose was rusted on to the vavle. After numerous attempts with WD40 two pipe wrenches and two guys the thing still has not budged. In an attempt to possibly screw off...

Hole for Flange is too big [ 1 Answers ]

I just read the thread about the rotten sub floor and I have a similar issue. I have a pier and beam house. The waste pipe comes up through a hole in the floor and (before removing the toilet) the toilet made contact with the flange and was sealed with a wax seal. The only unique issue here is...

Shower drain rusted unable to remove, help. [ 3 Answers ]

I've looked at the WingTite shower drain instructions and they seem pretty much clear. Before I proceed I would like to know if these steps will work on my drain because before I found their website I tried to remove the drain by gaining access from the bottom of the shower and could not. I found...

Dyi rusted toilet flange? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet flange on a 4" cast iron pipe (c. 1955) that has rusted away to the extent that the flange lip has broken away, so the toilet bolts have nothing to hold on to. The flange is cast iron, the pipe appears to be cast iron. I can get to the pipe from under the floor but not the top...

View more questions Search