Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Samanthakayy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 07:57 AM
    New to the shot, and my boyfriend went inside me?
    I just started the depo shot about 2-3weeks ago and the other night my boyfriend ejaculated inside me. Am I able to get pregnant? And is there certin days of the month I can get prenant while on the depo shot?:(
    MadamButterfly Posts: 54, Reputation: 12

Mar 7, 2007, 09:58 PM
    I answered your question titled "will someone please answer me". Actually, there is a very, very high chance you may get pregnant. My suggestion would be to go to Planned Parenthood as soon as possible and get the "Morning After Pill" (Emergency Contraception).
    EC, also known as emergency birth control, has been available for more than 30 years. It contains hormones found in birth control pills and must be started within 120 hours after unprotected intercourse.
    It is an important tool for women to prevent unintended pregnancy and the need for abortion. EC was responsible for approximately 43 percent of the decrease in the number of abortions from 1994 to 2000.

You may want EC if

The condom broke or slipped off, and he ejaculated inside your vagina.
    You forgot to take your birth control pills, insert your ring, or apply your patch.
    Your diaphragm, cap, or shield slipped out of place, and he ejaculated inside your vagina.
    You miscalculated your “safe” days.
    He didn't pull out in time.
    You weren't using any birth control.
    He forced you to have unprotected vaginal sex.

Types of ECs:
    The progestin-only method uses the progestin levonorgestrel in a dose of 1.5 mg, either as two 750 μg doses 12 hours apart, or more recently as a single dose. Progestin-only EC is available as a dedicated emergency contraceptive product under many names worldwide, including: in the U.S. Canada and Honduras as Plan B; in the U.K. Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal and Italy as Levonelle; in 44 nations including France, most of Western Europe, India, and several countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America as NorLevo; and in 44 nations including most of Eastern Europe, Mexico and many other Latin American countries, Portugal, Australia and New Zealand, Israel, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore as Postinor-2.[2] It is possible to obtain the same dosage of hormones, and therefore the same effect, by taking a large number of regular progestin-only oral contraceptive pills. For example, 40 Ovrette mini pills are equal to 2 Plan B pills.[3][4] The FDA has not approved this off-label use of regular progestin-only oral contraceptive pills.[4][5][6]

The combined or Yuzpe regimen uses large doses of both estrogen and progestin, taken as two doses at a 12-hour interval. This method is now believed to be less effective and less well-tolerated than the progestin-only method.[7] It is possible to obtain the same dosage of hormones, and therefore the same effect, by taking several regular combined oral contraceptive pills. For example, 4 Ovral pills are the same as 4 Preven pills.[4][8] The FDA approved this off-label use of certain brands of regular combined oral contraceptive pills in 1997.[4][5][6]

The drug mifepristone may be used either as an ECP or as an abortifacient, depending on whether it is used before or after implantation. In the USA, it is most commonly used in 200- or 600-mg doses as an abortifacient,[9] but in China it is commonly used as emergency contraception. As EC, a low dose of mifepristone is slightly less effective than higher doses, but has fewer side effects.[10] As of 2000, the smallest dose available in the USA was 200 mg.[11] Mifepristone, however, is not approved for emergency contraceptive use in the United States.[12] A review of studies in humans concluded that the contraceptive effects of the 10-mg dose are due to its effects on ovulation,[13] but understanding of its mechanism of action remains incomplete. Higher doses of mifepristone can disrupt implantation and, unlike levonorgestrel, mifepristone is effective in terminating established pregnancies.

Side Effects:
    The most common side effect of emergency contraceptive pills is nausea (50% of users of combined pills, 23% of progestin-only users), and a significant number of users vomit. Estrogen in combined ECPs is responsible for the increased incidence of nausea and vomiting. Antiemetics may be prescribed for both methods, to be taken 1 hour before each ECP dose. If vomiting occurs within an hour after taking ECP's, it may be necessary to repeat the dose.

Other common side effects are abdominal pain, fatigue, headache, dizziness, and breast tenderness. These side effects normally resolve within 24 hours.

Temporary disruption of the menstrual cycle is also common and may manifest as early or late periods, spotting or breakthrough bleeding, and (less commonly) missed periods. The primary mechanism of EC is delaying ovulation. Menstruation occurs, on average, 14 days after ovulation, so delayed ovulation results in delayed menstruation. Suppression of ovulation may cause anovulatory bleeding, which could manifest as an early period.

Source: plannedparenthood.org/wikipedia.org

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depo Shot [ 18 Answers ]

I just started the depo shot about 5 days ago... so far all I have heard about it is horror stories... I am glad to report that so far I haven't had any side affects... only a little more sensitive... but then again it hasn't even been a week yet... I kind of just got on it with out asking any...

Deprovera Shot? [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: I'm just wondering how long you have until the shot wears off? I am waiting for my insurance to go through, but in the meantime I am 5 days past the due date for my next shot! So I am just wondering how likely it is that I will get pregnant and am I taking a big risk having sex while...

Deprovera Shot [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to get pregnant while on the deprovera shot? I have been taking it for 5 years, only missing it 2 times. Once last year the other time 2 years ago. :confused:

Depo shot [ 1 Answers ]

I need help what's the side effects of getting off the depo shot I've been on it for 6 months and never got back on it but I haven't got my period since is this bad and plus my breast has been hurting a swelling is this part of the symptoms of getting off it so soon. I got off the depo shot because...

Hit me with your best shot! [ 12 Answers ]

I am on a 80's music hunt. I have a pretty large selection of 80's music, but I'm sure that there are a few songs out there that I don't have yet. If you have a hot minute, just ramble off some groups, or song titles that I can look up so I can add to my collection of great 80's music. ...

View more questions Search