Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckyrabbit7 Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
    Tecumseh tvm220
    I put a tecumseh tvm220 engine in my craftsman lawnmower. It powers the mower fine, but I don't know how to kill the engine once its started. I pulled the spark plug wire. The engine only has two wires coming from the charging coil.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks jim
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Use choke to kill it or make up a ground strip to push against frame. That's how they did it years ago.

Aug 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
    I tried the choke before, but it makes it hard to restart.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
    Get a piece of wire and put it under the spark plug cap nut. Now go get a door push button and connect the wire to 1 side and ground the other side. Push button to stop
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
    Hi,
    Give me a break. There is a ground spade on the coil that should have a wire attached to it and coming from beneath the shroud(usually white.) It should attach to the harness at some point and go to the switch. Wire could be broken, disconnected or switch ground bad. The manual link is here:
    http://outdoordistributors.com/pdf/K...V15S-41525.pdf
    It is fairly large, so be patient.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
    Thanks clarke
    You were right. There was a wire coming from the shroud. It was a green wire. I thought it was a ground wire, but looking at it closer, it had insulating material under the spade. When you ground it, it kills the engine. I hook it up to the wire from the key switch and everything works as it should.
    Thanks again jim

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tecumseh 10 HP, no spark! [ 7 Answers ]

Short version... had blown 8 hp Tec. For snowblower. Got 10hp Tecumseh new short-block, swapped out crank and cam shaft (needed the pto shaft from blown engine to drive snowblower wheels). Everything came together like a dream, the blocks are identicle save for slightly larger piston. I have good...

Need help with Tecumseh go kart [ 0 Answers ]

Just bought a used go kart with a 6 horsepower Tecumseh engine. Took the bowl off the carburetor and flushed it out with new gas... reassembled it... spray starter fluid in it and it will crank, but will not stay running-it has gas in the bowl. Any suggestions on how to get it to remain running?

Tecumseh Snow Blower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... I am new to the community and would appreciate any help you might be able to give to me! I have a Tecumseh Snow Blower and just today had a problem with the Auger. I went to press the handle down for the snow to come out and there was a terrible skreeching sound, and it did not throw any...

Tecumseh Transmission [ 2 Answers ]

My transmission problem is that it will shift into all forward gears; not easily, but it shifts. It will not shift into reverse. When I attempt to shift, it moves into the R slot but it meets resistance and will not stay. Looking at the links is a bit difficult, but it appears that the...

Tecumseh [ 12 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to pronounce the Native American name Tecumsh? Thanks!

View more questions Search