Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candyfloss7 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Jul 20, 2012, 06:50 AM
    Ask me how.com formum
    My husband co-signed a loan private (ALPLN)- TERI for his daughters studies , it has been deffered so long and the amount is so high now , she can't pay , we know they will come after him now for the money, we have the house in Joint names and the loan was actually co-signed for before I married my husband and we were told no one can pass a judgement on the house in this case, my question is, we wanted to sell the house but are afraid that should we sell ,will the lender will be able to seize somehow the 50% of my husbands share of the house sale when it turns to cash, is there any way around this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by candyfloss7 View Post
    My husband co-signed a loan private (ALPLN)- TERI for his daughters studies , it has been deffered so long and the amount is so high now , she can't pay , we know they will come after him now for the money, we have the house in Joint names and the loan was actually co-signed for before I married my husband and we were told no one can pass a judgement on the house in this case, my question is, we wanted to sell the house but are afraid that should we sell ,will the lender will be able to seize somehow the 50% of my husbands share of the house sale when it turns to cash, is there any way around this.

It's in joint names - he owns it all and you own it all. Same with a joint bank account. A creditor doesn't have to divide it in half.

The lender could seize the entire proceeds of the house.

If you want to sell do it before the creditor gets a Judgment against your husband OR transfer the house into your name now, before it appears that you are hiding assets.
    candyfloss7 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Jul 20, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply , we are hoping we can do something before this loan actually defaults which isn't long , we will certainly look into the options you mention.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2012, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by candyfloss7 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply , we are hoping we can do something before this loan actually defaults which isnt long , we will certainly look into the options you mention.

I know - and in this economy... hard for parents who co-signed, hard for children who needed a co-signer.

No winners here. The best you can do is protect yourself, and that includes bank accounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search