Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LocoeE Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Microhood installation
    I am planning to upgrade my kitchen & I want to replace my fan hood with an over the stove microwave oven. The fan hood that is now in place vents to the outside through the house wall. The cabinet over the fan is 18 inches high and I plan to replace it with a 12 inch cabinet to accommodate the microhood. My question is, will the new microhood exhaust vent line up with the existing through the wall vent that the old fan hood used or do I need to get a microhood that exhausts to the indoors? Thanks for you help and taking the time to reply.

Mike
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 3, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoeE
    I am planning to upgrade my kitchen & I want to replace my fan hood with an over the stove microwave oven. The fan hood that is now in place vents to the outside thru the house wall. The cabinet over the fan is 18 inches high and I plan to replace it with a 12 inch cabinet to accommodate the microhood. My question is, will the new microhood exhaust vent line up with the existing thru the wall vent that the old fan hood used or do I need to get a microhood that exhausts to the indoors? Thanks for you help and taking the time to reply.

Mike
    There still should be adequate room to install a horizontal rectangular transition el duct from the new micro. Usually they have a 3 x 10" interface with a fitting opening on one end to duct out to the side again.

Mar 4, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nmwirez
    There still should be adequate room to install a horizontal rectangular transition el duct from the new micro. Usually they have a 3 x 10" interface with a fitting opening on one end to duct out to the side again.
    When the microhood is mounted under the cabinet there will be no room behind the microhood, so my next question, is there room inside the microhood to install transitional ductwork. Thanks again. Mike
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 4, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoeE
    When the microhood is mounted under the cabinet there will be no room behind the microhood, so my next question, is there room inside the microhood to install transitional ductwork. Thanks again. Mike
    Are you installing a standard counter model? Most undercabinet units have both a knockout for the top and back of the chassis to match standard vent ducting. Nm
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Mar 17, 2007, 01:08 PM
    I agree you can turn the fan to the back, front or through a charcoal filter back into the kitchen
    Unless you are a big cook like me set it up for vent-less its fast and easy BAM
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Hi, how did you end up venting your microhood? I am in the same situation. Thanks

Apr 25, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Hi Nervous. I haven't mounted the microhood yet because I'm waiting for the cabinets to arrive, but I think I'm going to take the easy route and vent it inside. I really don't see how adapters could work in that small space. Thanks to everyone that posted ideas.

LocoE

May 3, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Hey Nervous. I had my kitchen cabinets installed by a pro and he also installed my microhood and vented it to the old outside vent. At the old through the wall vent he cut the dry wall above the vent about 8 inches. He then cut the top metal part of the rectangular vent and pushed it straight up. Then he used a 90 degree transition piece and attached it to the top of the old vent opening that he had cut and then pushed up. He then sealed the old rectangular vent opening with a piece of thin sheet metal and duct taped the vent hole that the old hood lined up to. Whe he installed the new hood ot lined up perfectly. He fabricated the 90 degree piece himself, but he said you can buy it. I hope this helps .

Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microwave installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our old "over the range" vented/ microwave was hard-wired. The new one came with a plug-in cord. Do we need to add a plug to the wiring above the range or remove the plug from the microwave wiring & hard wire? Everything I read says to have dedicated outlet/wiring for the microwave. We...

Microhood install [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a microhood and the install guidel recommends a dedicated line with 20 amp circuit. The microhood is rated at 1100 watts. Can I use a 15 amp circuit. Only other thing running are some garage lights. Thanks for the help.

Electrical installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is alfredo and I like to ask a question I need to install a sander machine that uses 480 volts my question is wich wire I need for 100 feet from panel to machine , thanks

Installation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, How can I install a OS if my CD ROM is not functioning.

View more questions Search