Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdnfullmoon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 08:19 AM
    How do I re-wire a light switch to carry power to existing fixtures/outlets?
    What I have is 2 single-pole switches in a box. One of them has power coming in from the breaker panel. I would like this switch to send constant power to a second switch which controls one of my hall lights and then have the power carry on to a couple of other lights and some wall plugs which are all joined together (I believe they have red wires connecting them - at least I can see a cable in the box which has a red wire, but that wire is dead and leads to the hall light).

What I have done is removed several other lights/plugs which were connected to this same line (the hall light) as it was drawing too much for one circuit and was connected to a single pole switch that shut off EVERYTHING when someone accidentally would flip it to the off position.

Can someone please provide a diagram showing how I can (if it is possible) hook this up? If it is not possible with this configuration I might be able to run 12/3 from another panel, but I would like to avoid that if I can.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnfullmoon View Post
    What I have is 2 single-pole switches in a box. One of them has power coming in from the breaker panel. I would like this switch to send constant power to a second switch which controls one of my hall lights and then have the power carry on to a couple of other lights and some wall plugs which are all joined together (I believe they have red wires connecting them - at least I can see a cable in the box which has a red wire, but that wire is dead and leads to the hall light).
    You would have to tell us what wires are in all the boxes. From your description I cannot even begin to envision what exactly you have.

What I have done is removed several other lights/plugs which were connected to this same line (the hall light) as it was drawing too much for one circuit and was connected to a single pole switch that shut off EVERYTHING when someone accidentally would flip it to the off position.
    This is a short circuit, not anything drawing too much.

Can someone please provide a diagram showing how I can (if it is possible) hook this up? If it is not possible with this configuration I might be able to run 12/3 from another panel, but I would like to avoid that if I can.
    Give us a detailed description of what you have and I am sure someone would be willing to draw something up.

Jul 7, 2012, 12:59 PM
    Thanks. I have a 12/3 wire that leads to a hall light switch and fixture and then goes on to a bedroom ceiling fan and switch and a second hall light and switch (with outlet) and then continues on to 4 or 5 outlets in the living room. This is the switch that is currently not hooked up to anything.

The other switch comes directly from the breaker panel to the switch and controls a bedroom ceiling fan. Prior to my making "adjustments", there was a third switch (all three were jumped together) which controlled a kitchen light. That third switch also jumped power over the ceiling in the hallway to a switch which controlled:

2 kitchen lights;
    3 kitchen outlets;
    1 four bulb bathroom vanity light;
    1 GFCI outlet in bathroom;
    1 two light outdoor motion sensor light;
    2 hall lights;
    1 hall outlet (next to second hall light switch - I think it's called a duplex?)
    2 bedroom ceiling fans
    1 bedroom outlet;
    1 porch light;
    1 outdoor pole lamp; and
    4 living room outlets.

I can let you know what I moved to other lines if that is necessary, but what is left on that line now (the one I want to power) is:

2 hall lights;
    1 hall outlet;
    1 bedroom ceiling fan;
    1 bedroom outlet;
    4 living room outlets.

The above all have red wires and all died when I removed the power from the switch so I am assuming (yeah, I know) that once I connect power back, they will all work again.

Please let me know if I'm not explaining myself properly. It's a weird set-up as everything was wired to one wall switch that turned the entire circuit off.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Can't figure out how to delete this post.

Problem solved. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire two new ceiling fans to replace two existing light fixtures? [ 9 Answers ]

In a bedroom I have two light fixtures that operate off one wall switch. I want to replace these existing fixtures with two new ceiling fans with lights. I am assuming I will need a new type wall switch. What will be the wiring sequence I need to consider?

Can I wire a new PIR external light to an existing light switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install an external light and wire it to an existing light switch on the other side of the wall.

I have a switch with power to it and wire going to a light,a wire going to outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I have a switch box with power to it and wire going to a light to the left out of the switch box and a wire going to outlets to the right out of the switch box. How do I wire the switch to make both the light and the outlets work properly?

Adding new light fixtures to existing switch [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to add 3 pendant lights to the same switch as a light in the room. The power source runs to the light first, then to the switch. I tapped into the wire from the switch to the light. I connected whites to whites, blacks to blacks, and grounds to grounds. Now the pre-existing light...

How to wire an additional light to an existing 3-way light switch [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my basement, and the light at the top of the stairs is connected to a light switch at the top and bottom of the stairwell. I would like to add another light to this configuration at the bottom of the stairs. From what I can see, the power runs into the light...

View more questions Search