Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worldbuddy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 12:57 PM
    Can a mother of a child force child support on a man with no paternity test?
    My fiancé is being asked to pay child support for a child that has no been proven to be his - there has been no paternity test. Can somebody please tell me why/how this is allowed to happen? Surely a person cannot be made to pay money to a child when there is no proof that the child is theirs, and a judgement has been made solely on the mother's say-so?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Maybe next time he will appear in court and stand up for his rights. It sounds like he never went so the judgement was entered into by default. That is how it can happen. And if he remotely thinks he is not the father of the child then he should take action right away. So now its his turn to do something about it or keep paying.

Jul 6, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Maybe next time he will appear in court and stand up for his rights. It sounds like he never went so the judgement was entered into by default. That is how it can happen. And if he remotely thinks he is not the father of the child then he should take action right away. So now its his turn to do something about it or keep paying.
    He told me that he was never informed of a court hearing?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Can it happen, yes if he does not object.

Example, she is on welfare and the state will come after the father of the child, she will name him, they come after him. Once he is notified, he will have to request a DNA test and challenge it. Too many men get mad, say they are not going to pay and don't answer the letters they get from the state or the court.

So if he does not follow up on things, or if he moved and they don't have a good address, yes he could get forced to pay, or at least forced to pay till he takes her back to court.

Jul 6, 2012, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Can it happen, yes if he does not object.

Example, she is on welfare and the state will come after the father of the child, she will name him, they come after him. Once he is notified, he will have to request a DNA test and challenge it. Too many men get mad, say they are not going to pay and don't answer the letters they get from the state or the court.

So if he does not follow up on things, or if he moved and they don't have a good address, yes he could get forced to pay, or at least forced to pay till he takes her back to court.
    Thank you for your relevant and useful answer. Much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Test / Child Support / Custody [ 13 Answers ]

I got pregnant in January of 2005 by a guy I had been with for about 7 months. As soon as I said the word, he demanded I have an abortion and he was out the door. I couldn't go through with the abortion, and I had considered adoption but in the end I couldn't do that either. I had the baby 5 weeks...

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

Paternity test and child support [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently married and going through a divorce. I signed the birth certificate for my twins and now she is saying they might not be mine. Will I still be obligated to pay child support for them. I live ain Texas but I am paying child support through Ohio since that's where she lives.

Mother does not keep child man still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband pays his ex girlfriend child support for a child that she had from their two month relationship. SHe does not keep the child at all. In fact her first cild her husband's parents keep him, the second one her grandmother keeps her, the third one she gave up for adoption, this one her...

View more questions Search