Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guitarman1224 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 06:08 PM
    How to wire ceiling fan with light and 3 switches and a red wire
    I am trying to install a new ceiling fan in the kitchen with a light on it. Coming out of box in ceiling is white and black wire, white and black wire, and then white, red and black. The ceiling fan has blue, white, black and a green ground wire. How do I wire this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Tell us what wires are in the switch box.

Jul 4, 2012, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Tell us what wires are in the switch box.
    In the ceiling there is a group of wires bound by black electric tape... white, red, black. Also in box is white/black bound up by black electric tape then another set of black/white. The electric tape only holds the wires together in a group does not join the end of the wires. On the fan there is a blue wire a white wire, and a black one and green on the mounting bracket.

Jul 4, 2012, 08:53 PM
    I have never had so much trouble putting a ceiling fan up before. I have never seen anything like this. There are 3 light switches you can control the fan and light from.

Jul 6, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Describe the wireing in the switch box. What are the 3 switches for? Ceiling fans normaly have one or two wall switches to control the fan and the light. What is the third switch for?

Possible you have one cable (black and white) bring power to ceiling box, one cable (black and white) taking power to some where else and a three wire cable going to the switch box for control.
    Your post indicate that you have electrical tape bundling wires together and not cables. Is your wiring in conduit.
    You will have to do some testing to determine which wire(s) is hot. Do you have a meter?
    Can you post a picture?

Jul 6, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Describe the wireing in the switch box. What are the 3 switches for? Ceiling fans normaly have one or two wall switches to control the fan and the light. What is the third switch for?

Possible you have one cable (black and white) bring power to ceiling box, one cable (black and white) taking power to some where else and a three wire cable going to the switch box for control.
    Your post indicate that you have electrical tape bundling wires together and not cables. Is your wiring in conduit.
    You will have to do some testing to determine which wire(s) is hot. Do you have a meter?
    Can you post a picture?

All switches control fan and light. Can turn on and off from every switch.

Jul 6, 2012, 04:27 PM
    Do you mean you have three switches at different locations?

If so, which do they control, the light or the fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Ceiling fan with no light fixture... do I just cap the red wire? [ 2 Answers ]

- hampton fan has green, black, blue, black and White wires - ceiling has no color, red, white, and black wires I undertand black to black, green to no color, white to white, do I connect the red to the blue or just cap them. The fan doesn't have a light fixture, but I'm not sure what to do...

3way switches and a ceiling fan wire diagram [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a light fixture ( for my wife) that has 3 way switches, with a ceiling fan ( with a light). The way the light fixture is wired is both black leads from the switches are wire nutted together and the 2 white wires are wired to the fixture. Do I just wire the ceiling fan in...

How do I correctly wire a new ceiling fan (with a remote) when there are 2 switches? [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to replace an old ceiling fan (that had a light) with a newer version that has a remote to control both the light and fan. The old fan was wired to work on 2 separate switches - one for the light (I'll call it switch #1) and one for the fan (switch #2). There is a third switch in the...

View more questions Search