Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laurenlith Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 09:26 AM
    I'm 14 and my mom won't let me go to the mall with my friend who is also 14
    I think it should be fine; my friend is also a girl and we've been friends since first grade- I'm a freshmen now. Thanks(:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 09:28 AM
    How would you get there and back home again? What would you do there? Would you be meeting up with friends? How long would you be there? Why does your mom say no?

Jul 3, 2012, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How would you get there and back home again? What would you do there? Would you be meeting up with friends? How long would you be there? Why does your mom say no?
    My friends dad or mom could drive us there and back. We would just shop and hang around a bit. We would not be meeting with friends unless my mom knew we were. We would be there for 2-3 hours or so. My mom says no because she's afraid of pedophiles etc.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 09:41 AM
    I'd be more afraid of how you would behave in a public place, meet up with friends, etc. It's the perfect opportunity for you to go wild behind your parents' backs.

Pedophiles are not interested in someone as old as you are. They like little kids. You need to be worried about older teen boys who will also be at the mall and who will flirt with you.

Jul 3, 2012, 09:51 AM
    I'd be more afraid of how you would behave in a public place, meet up with friends, etc. It's the perfect opportunity for you to go wild behind your parents' backs.

Pedophiles are not interested in someone as old as you are. They like little kids. You need to be worried about older teen boys who will also be at the mall and who will flirt with you.
    No no my mom trusts me. She doesn't trust other people. She's told me that quote for quote. I'm just wondering how I can assure her that there aren't any eminent dangers lurking in the eerie shadows of the mall lol
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Oh, but there are dangers -- like I said, teen boys who will flirt and tell you how cute you are and charm the socks off you and hey, let's go for a ride in my car to Dunkin' Donuts.

Jul 3, 2012, 10:13 AM
    Oh, but there are dangers -- like I said, teen boys who will flirt and tell you how cute you are and charm the socks off you and hey, let's go for a ride in my car to Dunkin' Donuts.
    Haha no way I'm not that vain. Guys like that disgust me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 10:15 AM
    Oh, they will know how to flirt and how to charm you. Those and creepy older men are who your mom is worried about. You have no clue how innocent-acting and convincing they can be.

Jul 3, 2012, 10:34 AM
    Oh, they will know how to flirt and how to charm you. Those and creepy older men are who your mom is worried about. You have no clue how innocent-acting and convincing they can be.
    Lol okay so what are you saying in the long run? That I should not go?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 10:38 AM
    I say listen to and obey your mom.
    louise1928 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Jul 15, 2012, 02:50 AM
    I'm 14 too and my mum does allow me to go into town or to the mall even on the train to places that aren't too far away. I cannot go on my own though (only into town) I wouldn't want to go on my own though. My mum trusts me though I proved that when I went to south africa to visit my grandparents on my own I was 12 years old I sat next to a stranger on the aeroplane but I was OK and got on well with the passenger. I think all your mum wants is for you to be safe.Prove to her that you can take care of yourself. Maybe then you and your friend will be okay to go your own. By the way I live in england.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Unfortunately parents can be over protective. I don't see a problem with a 14 yr old, going to the mall with a friend. I assume you or your friend has a cell phone so you can call her father to pick you up right at the mall entrance.

Try to explain to your mom, that you will be careful and not go into any non public areas, stay in well lit trafficked areas of the mall. You can ask mall security for their safety record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom hates my friend so much [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so it started at the beginning when my mom found out my friends family had a bad background. I guess her brother isn't a very good person. She said u can't go to her house anymore so I was mad but she said she can come to my house That's when it got bad... so she came over and she was...

Can my mom adopt my best friend? [ 2 Answers ]

My best friend is 15 and she is living with her sister. Her sister is always grounding her for no reason and making her babysit her four kids while she is out. She also makes my friend miss days of school jusy because she's grounded. My friend told me that she doesn't like living with her sister so...

What to do when your mom hates your best friend? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't what to do either today my friend came over for a bit and it got to 7.00 and my mum said shall I take you back but my friend said her uncle was coming after work but she had just found out that her uncle was now coming at 9 then when my mum walked in me and my friend was laughing at me in a...

My mom hates my friend [ 17 Answers ]

When my mom found out that my friend had 6 little siblings and lived in apartment. She totally changed. I mean before when she didn't know about that she would let me go to my friend's apartment 3 times a week,but know that she knows about her family she won't even let me go to her house anymore. ...

View more questions Search