Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roycemek Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2012, 12:56 AM
    Running Aluminum MC Alongside Copper Water Pipes
    I'm running a new electrical run along the rafters in my house and I had a few questions I wanted to check on before I started. Are there any general rules and or best practices when running flexible aluminum MC around and near copper water pipes and any plumbing for that matter? Are there any good standoffs to keep the aluminum from touching the copper water lines and is there any concern for galvanic corrosion or something of the sorts? Thank you for any help.

Royce M
    JWASKE Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jul 3, 2012, 03:20 AM
    Hi, I work on commercial refrigeration in which we run flex all over the place in proximity to copper piping. As far as residential is concerned I couldn't comment on those details but I do know that general code will allow it, there's just a couple of things to think about when doing it though. I wouldn't run the flex in a manner where it comes in contact with the pipe but if its unavoidable you can wrap either, the pipe in insulation, or the flex. However, if it is HOT water piping you'll want to make sure that whatever you end up insulating with is resistant to high temps.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 10:29 AM
    In general, there is no requirement to keep aluminum cable away from copper piping. We keep our wiring away from other systems as standard practice, however, for example, in partitions, cables often run next to or cross other systems, without any apparent problems.
    roycemek Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2012, 10:40 AM
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning water back on after using bread to help solder the copper pipes [ 8 Answers ]

Urning water back on after using bread to help solder the copper pipes and some of the faucets are clogged. How can we get the water flowing again through the faucets? This is the hot water side.

I have plastic water pipes in my bathroom,do they need to be changed to copper? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, I am wanting to instal a shower in my bathroom,but the water preasure is rubbish to say the least! I have plastic cold water pipes feeding from the storage tank which is in the attic.I have been told that I need to change the plastic piping to copper to increase the preasure,so that I may...

Connecting two in line copper water pipes with compression fitting [ 2 Answers ]

Before connecting the two sections of pipe together, is there something that the surface of the pipe should be coated with that ends up inside the fitting before connecting the two?

Hissing sound in copper water pipes [ 8 Answers ]

We noticed a constant load noise in the upstairs shower that sounds like water running a few days ago. We assumed leak and tore into the wall, no water anywhere. Did the meter test, not using any extra water. My father suggested turning the water heater off and the noise stopped. We are unable...

Copper water pipes deteriorating [ 2 Answers ]

My copper water pipes are deteriorating. The water is from a private municipal supply regulated by DEP. The water is aggressive with a low pH. Allegedly, DEP is not urgently granting a solution to rectify the pH. As with a water heaters' sacrficial anode which reverses the polarity of the water...

View more questions Search