Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angele82000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Ex in jail for 32 years for aggravated assult.
    I am hoping someone may have a good idea for me, I am at a loss. This crime occurred in Brownsville, Texas by the way. Back in 2005 my ex husband was making his way home from a bar. He was intoxicated and broke into someone's home. According to the newpaper article he attempted to fondle the woman that was inside. This awakened her fiancée whom called 911. After a brief chase, law enforcement apprehended my ex and he was taken to jail. He signed a confession, but stated that he doen't really remember what happened. True or not, he went to trial in April of the following year. His father hired an attorney that charged him between eight and ten thousand dollars. The attorney was apparently worthless because my ex received a sentence of thirty two years. While I definitely believe a few years in jail would do my ex some good, this really seems excessive. He had no felonies before this, and this just seems like way too much time. Believe me, I am not sticking up for him or trying to justify his crime. I would really like for our kids to have some kind of positive relationship with their dad, and it won't happen as long as he is in jail. Should he try for an appeal? Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks.
    sassypea Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2007, 05:54 PM
    An appeal will process will evaluate whether he had a fair trial and probably won't go back over the merits or evidence of the case.

You should find out WHAT happens at an appeal and what the judge's are looking at to find out if you think he should bother with the appeal
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angele82000
    Should he try for an appeal? Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks.
    Hello angele:

32 years?? Yeah, I would try an appeal!!

excon
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Way Way Way too excessive is right. Appealing the decision is best option. With a different lawyer. This is a sentence somebody would get for being involved in a murder.
    marcy2much Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 03:51 PM

Hello, you would want to get a new lawyer and then file an appeal that is way too much time for that crime. Good luck to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long will I be in jail? [ 5 Answers ]

I go to court tomorrow for writing bad checks. I don't have the money to pay for them what will happen to me? I owe $ 2300.00 in bad checks and none of them were over $300.00. I live in chattanooga tn.

Adoption while in jail [ 1 Answers ]

If you are in jail how do you go about adoption a girlfriend/boyfriends child?

Jail [ 2 Answers ]

I Was arested about a year and a half ago. The police came to my house I came out and they ended up taking me to jail. The news paper said That they found me sleeping on the bed next to a hand gun. Iam a ex-con, how ever the police report says that I came out peacefully witch it the truth. Can I do...

Jail Sentencing [ 1 Answers ]

I served on a juror on a trial. I was one of the people not voting the majority. In other words I feel sorry for the young man on trial. What is the sentence for a prison inmate in Oregon, Oregon State Penitentiary, for possession of a sharp object that could be used as a weapon? The inmate...

Jail Sentencing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend who is in jail. She was put on an ACD in April of last year (for a year) for beating up her sister, because her sister pressed charges against her. But in November she broke her ACD by beating up her sister again and was sent to jail. She has been in there ever since (4 months)....

View more questions Search