Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Under Cabinet Lights (puck style)
    Hi,

I have just undergone the kitchen remodel. It is a galley style kitchen with the stove and a couple of cabinets and the left, and the sink and a bunch of cabinets on the right.

I want to install under cabinet lights on both sides of the kitchen. I am aware that I may need 2 or 3 sets (4 in a set) to complete this project.

I am going to put a switched receptacle in the upper cabinets (but the switch will be on the wall).

My question is how am I going to get it around the kitchen windows. Can I cut off the whip and use longer wire of the same gauge?

Maybe someone else has a solution for this small problem.

P.S. The new cabinets are hung already so access to drywall is slim.

Thanks Again for all your help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 02:39 PM
    It would have be easier to sneak wires inside the wall while the cabinets were down. Oh well, now you can still hide them if you can pry of some window trim and tuck the wires behind the trim. One additional idea, you can buy an inexpensice touch pad for under a cabinet fron. Just touch the pad and the lights will come on, three different levels if you want. Buy it in the same isle as the lights at the store
    Please rate my answer so I'll know if I helped you. Good luck.
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Hi

That's the kind of answer I was looking for (behind the window trim), that would be the thing to do right now since there is no trim in the entire room base, window, crown.

However going around the inside the cavities of the window would take up excessive wire from the harness correct? (i.e. if I need to go 60 in from the 3rd light to the 4th light and I go around the window and the wire stops at say top of the window how do I continue the wire?)

Sorry to be so long winded!

The idea of the touch lamps are good but you can't get the halogen style with those correct?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Yes, halogen are available. However, there are 12 volt and 11o volt systems. The touch pad, I believe, only works with the 12 v. system. That system uses a small brick type transformer that plugs into an outlet. The 12 volt system is easy to splice extra wire. I think you will find splice connector right next to the touch pad at the store. Be sure to buy wire the same size or larger than the wire in the lit. When you pry the trim you should see a narrow cavity between the window and the house framing, just right for your wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puck Lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I just wired my 2000 sqft house. If that wasn't enough, my wife wants me to install puck lights in the kitchen. In a nutshell, I have two series of lights, each with their respective x-formers. My plan is to attach the house wiring to the 120v side of the transformer, then from the 12v side run...

What style? [ 8 Answers ]

So I just started kung fu school and the master teaches basically whatever you want to learn, he asked me what I want to specialize in after I clenched the fundamentals, I have no idea,but I do want something that has good practical usage (versus regular fighters such as people around school),...

Wiring question 14awg and Cabinet lights [ 3 Answers ]

I had an electrician install some under cabinet puck lights. The puck lights were a last minute addition to the recessed lights he installed. After watching him install the recessed lights I thought it looked easy so I put some more in myself in another room. I got all kind of books and read...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Which style first? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 30 yr old male. Want to learn martial arts. I am lean, 5'9", not muscular, but I show good stamina in aerobic exercises or sports like badminton. Based on this information, can anybody advise me which martial art should I learn first? While going through some material on different...

View more questions Search