Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    questionsgalore Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Car won't stay running
    My car is stalling out every 10 to 15 min. I can't even really drive it. But I notice that my brake pedal is very hard now... I can barely push the pedal... brakes worked fine before car started stalling... Just was wondering if this is normal when cars stall out or not so a shop doesn't get over on me.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2012, 06:10 AM
    The engine needs to be running for the brakes to work.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
    What make, model, engine?

Hard to push pedal is likely related to an issue with the power brake booster. It will be harder to push the pedal, if the engine is not running and there's no vacuum.

Jun 29, 2012, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post

Hard to push pedal is likely related to an issue with the power brake booster. It will be harder to push the pedal, if the engine is not running and there's no vacuum.
    My car is a 1998 Mercedes Benz C280... but the brakes worked fine and then one morning I went out and tried driving and it keeped stalling... by the next day when I was trying to keep it running the brake pedal was very hard

Jul 3, 2012, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post

1998 Mercedes Benz C280 Sport... n I could even tell you the engine size
    I thought a v8 I don't know lol
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Action Plan:

. Remove and fully charge the battery, which most auto parts stores will do for free.

. Check for codes.

. Check for spark. If it's weak, consider replacing the coil.

. Replace the spark plugs with the same ones that originally came in the car, if they have not been changed in 50,000 miles.

. Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor, based upon codes and whether the problem persists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

23 hp Brigs & Stratton Intek V-Twin Engine won't stay running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 23hp Briggs Intek V-Twin Engine that starts but dies after choke is pushed in.

Lawn mower won't stay running after it starts for a minuite [ 1 Answers ]

A toro push lawn more when you prime it it will start but as soon as the gas from the primer is gone it shuts off I put in new primer bulb and cleaned the carb and replaced the gas and some times it just won't start at all getting spark just won't start

Car will not stay running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 honda accord. I drive it for about 20 minutes and it shuts down. I have changed the following parts... Master Relay, distributor cap, plug wire and plugs. EGR valve, Idol control valve, catalityc converter. Any suggestion?? PLEASE HELP!!

View more questions Search