Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dingsdean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
    Can my dog be pregnant even when she was not in season
    Is my jack russell dog pregnant she was tied with a spaniel today and I have not noticed any sign ov bleeding before this incident, she had a litter ov jug puppies 4 months ago. Any help thank you. Dean
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
    If she was willing my guess would be that she is in heat - perhaps early, perhaps late. I've NEVER known a female to permit being mounted unless/until she was "ready" or, of course, restrained (shades of Michael Vick).

Can I tell if she's pregnant? No.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 01:40 PM
    You may have to wait and see, my guess is that yes, she was in heat.
    Dogs average going into heat twice a year, depending on size and breed that could be more.
    The heat cycle last about 3 weeks, she will not have bloody discharge that entire time.
    It is ill advised to allow her to breed again so soon after giving birth.
    You should seriously consider having her spayed.
    How old is she?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
    I've actually known male dogs to "rape" female dogs, even those who aren't in heat or willing. It's kind of horrible.

Please spay your dog. We don't need anymore mutt puppies.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
    More accurately, she WAS in season, you just didn't see it. Not uncommon. There is such a thing as a 'silent' heat. Often, the first season goes unnoticed to the owner because it often isn't "typical". There are other signs that accompany a season beside visible bloody discharge... changes in eating habits, personality and activity, and things that many owners don't recognize simply because they are more subtle than dramatic.

Whelping a litter of pups in your home isn't easy, even though the dog does most of the work. Especially if you have never experienced it before. There most likely will be at least one unexpected veterinary visits, maybe several. And what to do with the pups... cute as they are, there is no shortage, and the law of supply and demand works quite well in these cases. Even though many people say they would like a cute pup, very few to none will desire one so badly that they will pay for one ahead of delivery, and frequently seem to disappear when the time comes to pick one up.

Have her spayed before she gets more than two to three weeks along. At this stage, there is minimal increase in difficulty or danger to the vet or the dog, and you avoid the decisions that invariably arise with unexpected, unwanted pet pregnancies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant and not eating I have tried allsorts of dog food [ 7 Answers ]

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant I have tryde allsorts of dog food can anyone help me

How can you tell if your dog is pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new dog and I think she is pregnet she eats and drinking very little. She is tired a lot and I can't understand why. Please help me.

Pregnant dog [ 1 Answers ]

My male dog was neutered 2 years ago, however, since my female got pregnant he has been back to his old habit of humping his bed. Is this normal? If so, why does this happen?

Dog pregnant? [ 10 Answers ]

What is tuck-up and what is a vulva? I need to know fast I think my dog is pregnant!!

About my pregnant dog [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old mutt, chow lab mix.. she's the type of dog that likes to roam around all over the place and sure enough when she was in heat, some random dog got ahold of er... and now she's pregnant :confused: I'm not sure when it happened but she sure is showing now... and producing milk...

View more questions Search