Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Another_Planet Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Jun 18, 2012, 11:57 PM
    Dating someone much older
    I realize this question must have been asked a million times before. I'm new to this site so forgive me. Would you consider it a bad idea and why? He's older by 8 years, I'm 18 and still quite young. We are both students at the same university. Point is, I think maturity depends on the person, and experience doesn't influence the way a relationship will turn out. We have been close friends for a year now. I know he has his inhibitions on this, which is what may have kept him back in the past, but we get along very well, which is why it's starting not to matter anymore. As I am naïve, and I recognize it, I would appreciate the opinion of someone who is older, or has had this experience.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
    The gap between 18 and 26 is not that wide. However if it was between 24 and 16, it would be very wide.

A lot of people will try to tell you that age is just a number, but the truth is that it does matter. Yes individual maturity has an influence, but you are wrong when you think that experience will not have an effect. EVERYTHING we experience in life affects our personal relationships.

But age difference matter less and less as people get older to the point where 36 and 28 is really no issue.

Since you are both adults, I see nothing wrong in your dating. You might want to take it slow given you admitted naïveté. But you are old enough to give it a try.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 05:39 AM
    Yes, while Scott and I and most others are the first to jump at a 8 year difference when you are 14 or maybe 16. As both people age and mature, age does really make less difference.

At 18 you are a adult and while perhaps not fully mature you have a full right to decide on your own now. Some older men may be there to take advantage of younger girls, and others not. So you just need to take your time and not rush into anything.

My own wife is 10 years younger so age is a state of mind once both parties are older.

Jun 19, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Thank you for your responses. I never thought about the taking is slow thing. It makes sense.

I think to a degree, it's my own inhibitions too. Three years ago, my biggest concern was what my peers in high school thought of me. Three years ago for him wasn't much different than today is. I'm still getting used to this adult thing. But then again, maybe I can learn from him, since I already do just being around him. He does call me kiddo often, although he says that that is his term of endearment. It doesn't bother me too much.
    What about the opinions of others? Will they start to matter, eventually? Will they negatively affect things?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
    You need to sort out your feelings about him first. Don't worry about what others think. You have to be with him, they don't.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
    While I respect Chuck and ScottGem's opinion, and while you are technically an adult, I think he is too old for you and knows it.
    You are an adult so just be careful and take it slow. Naiveté and an older person can be a bad mix. Guard your heart and use your head. Don't ignore anything

Jun 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
    This is great advice, I needed this. Thank you.
    Paulettep Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
    In three days I am marrying a man 30 years older than me. He is 77 I am 47. We met on a spiritual golf trip in Scotland. I was putting my husbands ashes on the Old Couse. That was three years ago. He has been in love with me since then but I always came up with excuses why it wouldn't work. We live 3000 miles apart, I've spent 7 years at a job I was overqualified for to take care of my mother. Now I've taken good care of her and time to spend my life with a man who adores me and is in better shape than I.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 08:48 AM
    What's your point? There is a big difference between your situation and hers. She is 18 years old.
    I hope things work out for you. Can I ask why you want to marry someone that old? You are still pretty young
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Another_Planet View Post
    Point is, I think maturity depends on the person, and experience doesn't influence the way a relationship will turn out.
    You can tell yourself that until the cows come home, but you know this is not true, experience definitely does influence how a relationship will turn out. Experiences you have will influence how anything in your life will turn out; in other words, wisdom. I know you know this simply because you came here seeking validation on your relationship. If you truly believed what you said, you wouldn't need validation.

You worry a lot. Just don't think about the age gap.

Jun 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
    You're right, that was a really stupid thing to say, that experience doesn't influence relationships. I don't even believe that. What I meant to say that a difference in experience, and that one person is more wise than the other does not necessarily have a negative effect on a relationship. Although now that I think of it, it is probably a bonus to have a same degree of life experience. So disregard that I ever said that :)
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Another_Planet View Post
    What I meant to say that a difference in experience, and that one person is more wise than the other does not necessarily have a negative effect on a relationship.
    In fact it's probably the for the better. You'll learn more from this guy because he's been around the block longer than you have.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Just take it slow. Being around the block a few times can be a negative too. I still think he's too old for you, just your head and take it slow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dating timeline as you get older [ 9 Answers ]

Threads merged I'm 44 years old and have one child. I've always wanted a 2nd child but it still hasn't happened. I have been dating someone great now for a few months, but this person may be a commitment phobe. He made a few comments - jokingly - about how he's glad he's not married, etc. To...

Dating an older guy. [ 7 Answers ]

Last week I was at a gathering with my best friend and I met this guy. He engaged in conversation with me and I was intrigued. He asked how old I was and I replied 19 and he told me he was 24. He's very handsome, in graduate school, nice job. And Im only going into my sophomore year in college....

Dating an older man [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 23 yr old and have recently met an older man and we are interested in dating to see if things would progress any further. My problem are my parents, that after going away for a weekend get away to see him (had to lie about it, and they found out after I came back) they have shown 110...

Dating someone older [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl and I am dating a 17 year old guy. He is turning 18 in may... when he turns 18 will it be illegal for me to be dating him? I turn 16 in November.. :confused:

Dating the older guy [ 3 Answers ]

I'm dating a guy that's 3 years older then me and I love him sooo much And he loves me! He's turning 19 in a couple months and ll still only be 15 or 16 years old... im scared oncce he starts going to bars... he'll dump me He's a great guy, and I've been datin him for 9 months now. We're...

View more questions Search