Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rovingman856 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 03:56 PM
    Incidental exposure to EtG
    Dr. Bill,

I've been sober for almost 3 weeks and am set to start my treatment for diversion on WED morning, with a urine test(I'm guessing drugs and EtG) somewhere between 9-12PM PST. At 3PM PST today, I squeezed Purell onto my right hand without thinking and then quickly washed it off. Am I screwed for WED morning?

From your other posts, I've been reading that most incidental exposure is out within 24 hours. I am 5'6" 160lb male and the cutoff is 500.

Thanks.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2012, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovingman856 View Post
    Dr. Bill,

I've been sober for almost 3 weeks and am set to start my treatment for diversion on WED morning, with a urine test(I'm guessing drugs and EtG) somewhere between 9-12PM PST. At 3PM PST today, I squeezed Purell onto my right hand without thinking and then quickly washed it off. Am I screwed for WED morning?

From your other posts, I've been reading that most incidental exposure is out within 24 hours. I am 5'6" 160lb male and the cutoff is 500.

Thanks.
    One time use of Purell should not be detectable. Particularly with a 500ng cutoff.

Here is a couple of tips that will at least help avoid false positives and still allow you to lead a reasonably normal life:

1) Be very careful of alcohol containing products, whether food, drink, or personal care during the a 12-18 hour period preceding the test. Do not use mouthwash, after-shave, or cologne during this period.
    2) Throughout the day prior to the test drink plenty of water. No need to overdo it but at least 3 - 16oz glasses. You can space out the water, you're not trying to flush, just remain very well hydrated.
    3) The day of the test drink plenty of water at least 2 - 16 oz up to about 3 hours before the test and make a point of voiding 60-90 minutes before the test.

These tips have nothing to do with drinking alcohol, rather to assist those that have consumed no alcoholic beverages as a safeguard against the false positives for which this test is notorious.

The main reason for false positives due to incidental exposure are timing and concentrated urine in combination and in that order.

Do you work in the medical field, "Purell" "diversion"?
    Rovingman856 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post

Do you work in the medical field, "Purell" "diversion"?
    It is for a DUI Diversion program, for which I am about to start this WED. The Purell was just at my place of work (a college campus), and I was simply not thinking this afternoon. I truly have not had alcohol in almost 3 weeks, so your answer is very relieving. I'll make sure to follow your list as well.

Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DrBill100 - EtG really so overhyped? Now baffled: lab says 3 drinks=20-24hrs. EtG? [ 7 Answers ]

Dr.Bill, I have been researching both the validity and dangers of false positives and negatives of this test as it is used for criminal, employment, and child custody reasons. In addition to the variant cut-offs, incidental exposures, etc. I am flabbergasted by the amount of conflicting info out...

Claiming food, lodging and incidental charges on H1-B [ 2 Answers ]

I came to the U.S. in 2008 and worked on H1-B for just 2 months. Then I left the U.S. I know that I must file nonresident tax return, and will not get standard deduction. Can I claim per diem expenses for my short stay during H1-B?

Indecent exposure [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of punishment do you get for exposing your bum in public? In quebec canada, and over 18 years old.

Hepititus exposure [ 7 Answers ]

My partner has hepititus C,can I be exposed to this virius, if so what can I do to prevent this? Many thanks Carol

View more questions Search