Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Schmatic of a transfer switch?
    I'm trying to find a schmatic of a 6 braker 20 amp manual transfer switch for mr 5000 what generator... I d like to see how they hook up and know just how they work... will I have to turn off my 200 amp main or will the manual transfer switch do it? Or maybe it don't get turned off?I did see one picture a while back or some of the switch wires hooking up to the brakers in my main from a transfer switch... but won't they feed the whole main or do I have to manually turn off the ones not being used... when the transfer switch is in use
    Will my generator be feeding the main... then back to the 6 circit transfer switch?anyone know what web site to look for I can't find one... tks...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 06:59 PM
    There have been some extensive discussions of generators and transfer switches here. Do a search here on "transfer switches" The way what you are describing works is that the transfer switch has a double throw switch allowing it to be either fed from your main panel, or a generator, but the 2 are never connected. In the generator position, only the 6 breakers in the transfer panel will be fed by the generator. No power flows to the main panel or any of the breakers in it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Try this site:
    http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Prod...px?pl=pt&c=&f=

Will I have to turn off my 200 amp main or will the manual transfer switch do it?
    No, the Main will stay on.

I did see one picture a while back or some of the switch wires hooking up to the brakers in my main from a transfer switch

Correct, a 6 breaker MTS only splices into the 6 circuits you ant to be fed by generator.

You only manually switch the 6 MTS circuit breakers when you need gen power to those, leaving the main any all other breakers alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Networking Switch 2 Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 buildings I want to network together. They are currently being linked by 2 hubs but I would like to replace them with switches. Is there any known performance issues with linking switches together. (e.g. Bandwidth is less on the uplinked switch) I think I already know the answer but I'd...

3-way switch as transfer switch? [ 47 Answers ]

Why are transfer switches so expensive? What's wrong with Using a 3-way switch for each circuit that I want to connect To my generator?

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

Transfer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I’ve recently purchased a Guardian 13kw standby generator with a transfer switch and load center panel. I have a couple of questions 1. The transfer panel had a total of 205 amps through 12 various breakers in it, can I replace some of them as long as I don’t go over the original 205 amps and use...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search