Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jayne VN Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 09:32 AM
    2 1/2 year old male tricolour border collie KEEPS licking his one front paw
    Help - my dog keeps licking his one front paw. The Vet. Has treated this case which ended up that the sore was surgically removed and the dog was having to wear a bandage and bucket-collar for several months. The wound is now much improved, but he continues to lick and there is always a small sore in that area. He is fed totally on Dr. Hill's Science Food for sensitive skin.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2012, 11:44 AM
    He might be allergic to that food.

Put the cone back on until the sore is better healed.

You can purchase a deterant called bitter yuck. It's water based and won't sting. Spray it on the wound.

Your dog sounds like a lick granuloma. It comes with anxiety and bored dogs. Up your dogs exercise. Make him tired every day.
    NaturalRemedies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
    The food is the issue: Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Meal, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Flaxseed, Chicken Liver Flavor, Animal Fat

Does this look like a good food for a canine? Looks more like chicken feed. Your dog requires that meat be the main ingredient of his food. He is not getting the nutrients he needs. Here's a great place to start figuring out how to choose a good dog food. Remember, high price DOES NOT equal high quality.

Best Dog Food-How to make a good choice for your dog.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
    We can't say that the food IS the issue, it may be food allergy it may not, it could be something in the environment, it could be a lick granuloma given that it is only one spot on one leg that is affected.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
    I have to say, I don't know a lot about food allergies in dogs, or skin conditions.

But, I have had border collies, past and present. When Lucky wrote "It comes with anxiety and bored dogs. Up your dogs exercise. Make him tired every day", well, that's so true.

Border collies are high energy dogs. They need a lot of exercise and stimulation. They are one of the smartest breeds, and they need stimulation. They are bred to herd, and to be active all day. If they don't get to expend that energy, they become bored. A bored dog does things they normally wouldn't do, like lick a sore to the point where it's an infection. Border collies need a job, they need to exercise, they need to be stimulated.

How often do you exercise your dog, and for how long?
    reidsmomma Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Why do you have so many dogs? You have 12 questions about different dogs??
    Pets Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by reidsmomma View Post
    Why do you have so many dogs? you have 12 questions about different dogs???
    Good catch. I didn't notice that.

It would be nice to know what's going on, especially since in one of her threads she claims to only have 2 dogs, both German Shepherds.

Interesting indeed.

Jul 13, 2012, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Good catch. I didn't notice that.

It would be nice to know what's going on, especially since in one of her threads she claims to only have 2 dogs, both German Shepherds.

Interesting indeed.
    I feel like we are being tricked
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
    I feel like we are being tricked
    I have that feeling too. Sounds like this poster either has a puppymill, is a backyard breeder, works at a shelter, or is asking questions found on another site so that she can get answers and gain expert status on another site (it's happened).

No matter what's going on here we're obviously being lied to, because one of her threads claims she only has 2 dogs. That's not what I've counted. ;)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Why do you have so many dogs? you have 12 questions about different dogs???

Alty, I caught this on June 22nd - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...lp-673821.html - when I listed all of her threads. Take a look - you'll remember her.

The answer at that time is that she "helps" people and all of the dogs are not hers. I no longer see that explanation (and don't know why it was pulled) BUT I obviously see that she's still posting.

Wonder if she's a "rescue" person and it's easier to say "my" than explain the situation.

I notice she's always been willing to hear advice, been cooperative - so I hesitate to label her as a trickster or, even worse, a troll!

Jul 15, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I caught this on June 22nd - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...lp-673821.html - when I listed all of her threads.

The answer at that time is that she "helps" people and all of the dogs are not hers. I no longer see that explanation BUT I obviously see that she's still posting.
    That's nice of her.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
    that's nice of her.

Depends on why she's posting -
    Pets Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
    Alty, I caught this on June 22nd - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...lp-673821.html - when I listed all of her threads. Take a look - you'll remember her.

The answer at that time is that she "helps" people and all of the dogs are not hers. I no longer see that explanation (and don't know why it was pulled) BUT I obviously see that she's still posting.

Wonder if she's a "rescue" person and it's easier to say "my" than explain the situation.

I notice she's always been willing to hear advice, been cooperative - so I hesitate to label her as a trickster or, even worse, a troll!
    That's a bit odd, because I don't see a deleted post, and I can see deleted posts in the dog forum. :(

If she is a rescue person, than of course I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. I just wish she'd make sure to tell people that when she's posting, and not say "My dog", because right now she looks like a hoarder. :(
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2012, 03:29 PM
    That's a bit odd, because I don't see a deleted post, and I can see deleted posts in the dog forum. :(

If she is a rescue person, than of course I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. I just wish she'd make sure to tell people that when she's posting, and not say "My dog", because right now she looks like a hoarder. :(

Perhaps it was by PM? I do remember the explanation - just don't know where I got it.
    Pets Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Perhaps it was by PM? I do remember the explanation - just don't know where I got it.
    Either way, if that's what she told you then I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but I really would advise the OP to write "I have a shelter dog", or "my friend has a dog", when asking more questions. That way there's absolutely no confusion in the future. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2012, 06:50 PM

Now I'm confused - are you a "mod"?
    Pets Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 07:25 PM
    Now I'm confused - are you a "mod"?
    No. I can see deleted posts in the pet forum because I'm an expert in those forums. But I can't do anything about those posts, neither delete, move, or even edit them. I can only see them. :)

It's sort of like the movie "Sixth sense".

"I see dead posts". ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yorkie licking his paw raw [ 9 Answers ]

I have just written the scheduling email at my vet and asked to make an appointment, I just don't know when they'll be free to see Eli. Last week we had a thunderstorm every day, and Eli gets very nervous in thunderstorms. I don't know if this is necessarily an effect of the nervousness, but at...

Staffy paw licking problems [ 17 Answers ]

My 8 + year old staffy constantly licks his paws and nibbles and worries at them day in day out! Drives me and him crazy. He is also itchy all over and now has very dry scaly skin although not broken skin

What should a year old male sable collie weigh? [ 1 Answers ]

My sable collie is 12 months old and weighs between 25-30lbs. He looks very skinny, but seems to eat well,is active, and has a beautiful coat. He lives outside on our six acre fenced in residence. We recently gave him a 3 day treatment of over the counter worm medicine, because I thought maybe...

Border Collie/Collie not eating [ 9 Answers ]

I thought I had entered this already but it never went in. Dog is a 13 and a half-year old Border Collie / Collie mix and she has suddenly stopped eating except selectively out of the hand. After a lot of battles with pills w gave up trying to give them - her slight heart problem now looks...

7 year old wonderful border collie has not eaten for days. [ 1 Answers ]

My border collie is 7 years old and all of a sudden acts like he has no will to live. He has not eaten anything for about 7 days. Not even things like pure tuna or hamburger which any dog would suck down so fast. He has lost a lot of weight and will only come to his name if you say it repeatily....

View more questions Search