Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KarryDoney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Will OB/Gyn induce?
    Is there any possible way that my doctor would induce me tomorrow on my 38 week appointment?? I am 3 1/2 cm dilated and 80% effaced.. I have been having very strong contractions for the last 2 weeks they have stopped my labor 3 times already this pregnancy... I am in so much pain... I have tried to walk as much as I possibly can, I have tried sex, I have tried to soak in a hot bath, I have tried climbing stair as much as I could, tried squatting lounges I have tried everything possible that isn't harmful to my baby like castor oil I will not try because I have heard really bad thing about it... I thought that I might go early with this pregnancy considering it is my 3rd and I had my son my second child at 36 and 4 day... What do you think?? If you don't think the doctor will consider inducing me what else can I try to do to help my labor progress?? How long do I need to try to walk in order for it to make a difference in my labor progression??
    joannaparra Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Hi something like that happened to my twin sister she just had her second son on Saturday she was 1 dilated for 2 weeks then she had some spotting and contractions since thurday disnt had her baby till Saturday.my mom told her to walk walk walk drink lots of water and tea.im 35 weeks my second one to and don't know what to expect my first was 21/2 weeks early so.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
    I know the last weeks in pregnancy can be rough, but it truly is in yours and baby's best interest to let things happen on their own when possible.

Your particular doctor might offer to induce labor, but they really shouldn't. More and more hospitals and doctors, thankfully, are avoiding inductions as early as they used to. For many years inductions became quite common and this resulted in a rise in c-sections and premature births. The increase in inductions did not produce positive outcomes, but rather the need for more medical intervention.

Unless medically warranted, inductions should be avoided. This, however, makes it difficult for mothers who are very uncomfortable in the last weeks. Unfortunately discomfort does not fall under being medically warranted.

Nothing will get things going unless your body is ready for it, as you have seen, and at 38 weeks it just may not be time yet. Ways to try and induce labor are best saved until after your due date has come and gone.

You can certainly keep trying the walking, and frequent intercourse. Nipple stimulation as well will sometimes work as this releases oxytocin, the hormone that produces contractions. Oxytocin is one of the hormones associated with breastfeeding. There are a couple of pressure points that may also prove effective. These things are noninvasive and may help, again when your body is ready for labor to start. They can also help when you are in labor to try and get things moving along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Induce lobor [ 3 Answers ]

Can I really diced to induce labor because I feel bad

Is there anyway to induce cat larbor? [ 0 Answers ]

My cat has been due for 1 weeek now and still nothing I know there alive they keep kicking. I don't have enough money to bring her to a vet again. Im only 13 and I have to pay for the cats needs myself or its gone I spent all my money on the last vet trip. Is there anyway to induce labor. Or any...

Induce Labor Myself [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to induce labor by myself? I have heard a bunch of different things, but is there anything that works DEFINITELY? I've heard about having sex, eating mexican food, drinking raspberry tea and walking... Something else I have heard is Caster Oil, but I have also heard that...

Ways to induce [ 8 Answers ]

I know about having sex and walking the baby out but my husband and I would just like to know if there is anything anyone has tried that has worked... I am excited to be having a baby but at 38 weeks I'm ready for my little munchkin to come out

My aunt wants to induce [ 17 Answers ]

My aunt just called and she's been having contractions for the last two weeks, and no offence she's as big as a horse and wants to get the show on the road. She wanted to use some castor oil to induce but she dosen't have any. Are there any castor oil substitutes out there that are found in the...

View more questions Search