Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joannaparra Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Itin not received yet
    Hi,my husband filled his itin application together with his 2009 taxes(he is doing 3 years 09,10 and 11) its been over 9 weeks and he haven't receive nothing yet nor the itin nor a letter how much longer should we wait? Or what should we do?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
    Nine weeks SHOULD be enough time. He should call 1-800-908-9982 to find out the status of his ITIN.
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 18, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Did you do the following using the latest revision of Form W-7? Did you mail it to the address below?

Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original, notarized, or certified proof of identity and foreign status documents.
    Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity and foreign status documents to:

Internal Revenue Service
    Austin Service Center
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin, TX 78714-9342

General ITIN Information:
    http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...222209,00.html

Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf
    Senior Tax Expert

May 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
    FirstChair:

Even if they did not follow proper procedures, they shold have gotten a notice from the ITIN Center asking for added documents.

I suspect the application got lost in the mail.
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 18, 2012, 08:13 PM
    I suppose we can speculate a number of reasons for a no timely reply. My purpose in responding was to create a perpetual teaching moment. I do not expect a reply here, but instead for them and anyone else who reads this thread, now or five years from now, to consider that if they did not send the updated form and if they did not send it to the correct address, these could be causes for a delayed response they are, at this point, anxiously awaiting.

Former IRS (Internal Revenue Service) employee.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 20, 2012, 05:47 AM
    Noted, and agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not received ITIN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, First thanks for your answers.I have applied for my son's ITIN number in April 2009 and in may2009 I came back to home country.I have given my US address to receive the mails but I never got it.Now I am in India and suggest me what is best way to get the ITIN number .(I have a US postal...

ITIN Number not received [ 4 Answers ]

Hi ! I am working on H1B. I have already filed my tax return in the month of march, 2009. But, I am still awaiting my ITIN Number from Harrisburg, I send all the details alongwith W7 alongwith spouse passport duly notarised copy. I have also got the letter from IRS to give the ITIN No. of...

ITIN LEtter Not Received [ 2 Answers ]

I have not yet received the physical copy of ITIN from IRS. I got the ITIN number from IRS on phone.. My Federal Tax returns were processed on Mar 13.. When shall I expect the ITIN as it more than 6 weeks now from time it was filed... Do we need to have a physical copy or only number is...

ITIN letter not yet received [ 9 Answers ]

I filed my taxes this year on feb 10 along with my wife's W7 application for ITIN along with other documents.after calls to IRS in march and April end,I was told at the end of may that my wife's ITIN has been mailed on 14 may.I applied for state tax refund with the ITIN given to us by IRS official...

ITIN Not received [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I applied for my ITIN along with my husbands Tax refund on 26th May 2007. Its been 6 weeks and till date have not received my ITIN. What should I do? Thanks.

View more questions Search