Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    8purplepeople Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Auto or ON?
    I just purchased my first home and have a question about my brand new furnace.
    Is it more efficient to run the heat/cool on AUTO or ON? It's a brand new Ducane gas furnace. I have it on auto now... and living in New England it is constantly flipping on/off. Not sure if that is more efficient or if I should leave it in ON mode?

Thanks!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 10:39 PM
    It depends on how often the blower comes on when it is in the AUTO position in not many then it would be cheaper to leave it there. Other wise in the run position it will run all the time.
    hamlet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 8purplepeople
    I just purchased my first home and have a question about my brand new furnace.
    Is it more efficient to run the heat/cool on AUTO or ON? It's a brand new Ducane gas furnace. I have it on auto now... and living in New England it is constantly flipping on/off. Not sure if that is more efficient or if I should leave it in ON mode?

Thanks!
    I'm assuming the ON refers to the furnace fan. It's really expensive to run the fan all the time - unless you have cold spots ine house that need constantly moving air. Ditto for A/C. I tend to keep my furnace fan running more in the summer so as to suck cold air from the basement and recirculate it to the upper floors.

Our local library had a gadget you could attach to various electric appliances and this was how I learned how many kwh's were being sucked up by fridges, freezer, computers, pond pump, etc.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 11:03 AM
    I've done mine both ways. With fan "ON" for 3 months and dident see any increase in electric bill. I guess it has a lot to do with the rates in your area
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
    I think what I am going to say is correct

In AUTO the thermostat operates the fan

In ON the fan runs continuously 24/7/365

Running continuously is what
    hvacservicetech_07 recommends
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Bigsie, sorry to tell you this, but running the blower on cont. is actually better for it, the start and stop is what really wears it out. It actually doesn't cost much at all to run the fun constantly, actually I advise this to homeowners with large homes because it gives you a more even tempature throughout the house.
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jun 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Running the fan doesn't cost much at all, because it is only a fan, about the same as a large ceiling fan. The compressor outside is what uses the most energy, more than half of the whole system.

I live in small Florida apartment, so mine is set to auto. This is because eventually, the air coming out of the vents will be humid, making it not as comfortable, and doesn't make a cooling effect like a ceiling fan. Also, you won't have to change the filter as often.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Biggsie, I didn't mean to undermind or insult you, I'm just speaking from experience.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Running a 3/4 horse fan, at 10 cent a KWH can add up to more than 30 dollars a month. I'm not going to give any bad ratings here, but split phase motors are very inefficient.

Yes, most engineers I have spoken to over the years say it is easier on the motor, but at 300 dollars a year operating cost you can afford to replace it every 10 years. (average life expectancy)

Running the fan continuously, as stated above, can improve even temperatures through out the home, in conjunction with good filtration, (and I don't mean a filtrete or plastic elecrostatic filter) it can improve indoor air quality. Indoor air is very poor when compared to outdoor air, even in a large metropolis.

Don't get me wrong filtrete filters work as advertised, if you only need 800 CFM for a 16" x 25" x 1" filter and you change it often enough.

Due the math, 800 watts per hour equals about 19KW per day, or 1.9 dollars per day, 57 dollars in a 30 day month.\

My 1/2 horse pond pump costs me 32 dollars a month at 8 cents per KW. I saw the spike in my bill the first month it was installed.
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jun 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    Running a 3/4 horse fan, at 10 cent a KWH can add up to more than 30 dollars a month. I'm not going to give any bad ratings here, but split phase motors are very inefficient.

Yes, most engineers I have spoken to over the years say it is easier on the motor, but at 300 dollars a year operating cost you can afford to replace it every 10 years. (average life expectancy)
    It's obvious that running it constantly uses more power. A blower motor won't die in 10 years, and still, most people are more than willing to pay the extra cost of running it than go through the trouble of having a technician put a new fan in.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    Indoor air is very poor when compared to outdoor air, even in a large metropolis.
    Not in Los Angeles.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 10:48 PM
    I see your point, Northernheat, Ive got a 1/2hp motor in my furnace and ran the thing for about 2 months due to a bad circuit board that I didn't have time to change, and my bill went up about four bucks a month, So I guess I'm basing my advice on that, of course, the bigger the motor, the more the cost. I'll step out of this one...
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTyphoon
    It's obvious that running it constantly uses more power. A blower motor won't die in 10 years, and still, most people are more than willing to pay the extra cost of running it than go through the trouble of having a technician put a new fan in.

Not in Los Angeles.
    Where do you get your indoor air in Los Angeles?. Colorado. Sorry for being such a smart a... but it is still true in LA or anywhere else.

I see hundreds of 10 year old motors die, even in less than 10 years. What kills a motor, that runs constant, is dirt. If you are going to do this I would suggest good filtration.

Call your local fire department and ask them how many fires are started by dirty blowers, it seem to happen here about once a year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident [ 2 Answers ]

I got in a minor accident and the police weren't called. After a very little bit, I realized what a huge mistake that was. I accidentally rear ended someone and the damage was very minor. We exchanged information. What liabilities did I open myself up to? Thanks for the help.

Auto Repossession [ 16 Answers ]

If you voluntarily let the bank Repossess a vehicle, will they still try to collect a Deficiency Balance? This pertaining to the State of Hawaii. Someone said if they come and Repo your vehicle, you don't have to pay the Deficiency Balance? But if you call the bank and tell them to pick it up,...

Auto leasing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year lease on a 2005 VW Bug, which began in March, 2005. I am allowed 10,000 miles per year on the lease. Vehicle has 10,800 miles currently. I want to get out of the lease now, as I do not need 3 vehicles any more. Short of trading the vehicle in on another one, how do I get out of...

No auto fan [ 2 Answers ]

My furnace has a problem. The fan will not come on in the auto position.the t-stat doesn't have any fan controls on it. The limit switches both have continuity through them. I let the burner run for a long time and nothing. If I turn the fan to on,so it runs all the time, no heat comes from the...

Auto vents [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, thanks for the info on the shower drain. Its greatly aprreciated. I am also installing a kohler wirlpool tub in my new bathroom. Question is this. The tub is going to be in middle of the room. What are your recommendations for venting the drain line? The drain line will travel appr. 11 feet...

View more questions Search