Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    me_drano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Debt settlement services
    Are debt settlement services a good way of getting out of credit card debt, and are there any good companies out there than anyone can recommend?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Hello me:

They're only going to do, what you could be doing yourself, and they'll charge a lot of money to do it, too.

Get on the phone and start talking to your creditors. What do you think these services are going to do?? They're going to talk to your creditors.

excon
    Cb1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Feb 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
    True, true all you need to do is just call them and talk about a plan to pay it off. You can do it all by yourself without losing more money.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Feb 24, 2007, 04:10 PM
    If you are in the UK I would recommend contacting the CCCS (consumer credit couselling service) They will help you come up with a relalistic budget plan, and help you write to all your creditors, and most creditors will listen to their advice. And they are a charity so don't charge users a penny, they are aid for largley by the credit companies (hence they listen to the advice of the cccs) I used them a few years ago when I was in serious credit trouble (I owed £25k when me and the husband split up and he left me with all the debt) and I am now debt free. I wouldn't go near any of those companies that charge you a fee, I used one and I was paying them hundreds a month and none of it went toward my debts and they didn't contact any of my creditors.
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 5, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Most charge fees and do little or nothing. They are worthless. I'd avoid them... call the creditors yourself and work out a payment plan... get any deals with them in writing. Don't give them access to your accounts, or send them post dated checks. They will clean you out if you do.
    matthew47 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
    I agree. In some cases if you have the money to pay them off quickly, they may settle for less than the full balance owed. A good negotiation start would be to offer 55% of the balance owed and go up from there. Of course they will always think that you are crazy for starting so low, but who would start high? Call them yourself, do not use a company. Take your own destiny in your hands, your better off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Superior Debt Services [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, I recently joined the above company to try and get my credit card debt under control. I owe abot 25K in credit card debt and can barely make the minimum payments. I have been a member since June and part of the program is to stop making payments and use these delinquent payments as...

Debt settlement [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, a little background for you. Joined debt settlement group. Mbna is not wanting to talk to them. Mbna or collection agency for Mbna is threating a lawsuit if I don't pay in full. They called my mother-in-law and gave her information about the situation trying to get in touch with me. ...

Debt Settlement-What should I do [ 2 Answers ]

I enrolled in a program with Debt Shield about a year ago. I have since ended the program and settled 2 of the 4 cards on my own. The other 2 are with the same company, Discover Card, and on one account they filed suit. I answered the summons and countersued. It was been almost 2 months since I...

Debt settlement [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone had any luck with a settlement company for debt? I'm going through the company, Superior debt relief. Of course, I thought I did my research but everything sounds the same when comes to these companies. I checked the BBB in the area that this co. is in and no complaints in 36months and...

Debt settlement [ 6 Answers ]

This is my first and hopefully the only time that I do a debt settlement. It sounds almost to good to have your debt settled by almost 50%. I'm thinking about going through the company, expert financial services to settle. Is this company reputable. And how can a debt settlement have the power so...

View more questions Search