Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hellocat12 Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
    Another parent child question...
    How wrong is it,

If a parent smokes pot while their two year old child is wide awake? In the same room that the child will be put to sleep in, in a matter of hours.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
    How wrong is it? It's wrong to have pot anywhere in the house with a child in the first place if you want to keep your child. That actually can be grounds to have your child removed from your custody. So, to smoke pot in a room where the child is going to be put to sleep is even wronger (is that a word?).

May 7, 2012, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    How wrong is it? It's wrong to have pot anywhere in the house with a child in the first place if you want to keep your child. That actually can be grounds to have your child removed from your custody. So, to smoke pot in a room where the child is going to be put to sleep is even wronger (is that a word?).

THANK YOU!
    I absolutely 100% agree. I have said before I do not have my own child. I have never smoked pot or done any other drug. I have a very intelligent nephew, whose parents do exactly this. It really bothers me and its so not fair to him, that he has to be subjected to something like that at such a young age. Anybody who has seen a two your old for ten minutes knows how easily it is for them to get their hands on anything they want. I would be so upset if he got into their stash.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 8, 2012, 10:04 AM
    My first thought was that the child is inhaling the second-hand smoke and accompanying residue. That can't be good for his lungs and brain. My second thought was that he is watching his parents do this and enjoy it -- smoking, breaking the law, putting their child at risk physically and emotionally and with the legal system (later will think, "my parents didn't love me"), etc.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2012, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocat12 View Post
    THANK YOU!
    I absolutly 100% agree. I have said before I do not have my own child. I have never smoked pot or done any other drug. I have a very intelligent nephew, whose parents do exactly this. it really bothers me and its so not fair to him, that he has to be subjected to somthing like that at such a young age. Anybody who has seen a two your old for ten minutes knows how easily it is for them to get their hands on anything they want. I would be so upset if he got into their stash.

Call the Police and protect the child - it's called tough love.

How did you become aware of this? It's open and obvious?

May 10, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My first thought was that the child is inhaling the second-hand smoke and accompanying residue. That can't be good for his lungs and brain. My second thought was that he is watching his parents do this and enjoy it -- smoking, breaking the law, putting their child at risk physically and emotionally and with the legal system (later will think, "my parents didn't love me"), etc.

Their big thing is... "We never do it around him, and we wait until he is asleep." They never wait until he is sleeping, but they really don't do it in front of him. He really has never seen them do it. But I believe that just because you close the door, doesn't mean he's not breathing it. Also I'm all there with the residue, it leaves behinde so many toxins. It just makes me sick!

May 10, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Abc.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2012, 06:58 AM
    I would love to call the police. They are very open about their habbit, and even though they know how my fiancee and I feel about it, they are perfectly fine opening that nasty jar in front of us. It smells horrible. The reason for me not calling the police... My fiancee still lives at home we are both 20 and are just starting out. His brother and soon to be wife are 21, and 23 and are both moving out very soon. (the ones with the two year old son) His other sibling is 18, and in highschool. Their parents both smoke pot, ive never seen them do it. But I know they do, so that made it okay for their oldest son and their 18 year old daughter to do it too. My fiancee and I are totally against smoking pot and have never done it. It was very damaging to my fiancee that he found his father, the person he looked up to so much, smoking pot with his brother and his highschool friends. Anyway, I can't call the police because they all do it, my so and I are already outcasts because "we think we are better than everyone else," which is not so. I can't cause a big family conflict, as you can already imagine with the situation, its constantly an argument in that house. I know its not fair to my nephew, I love him dearly. Its just such a sticky situation. My fiancee's father is a big guy, and he likes to drink as well. Getting into an argument with him is not pretty. Ive seen him put his hands on both of his sons and I will not allow it to happen to my so ever again.

btw..deleting this in a few days because it is so personal.

First, you cannot delete a post. What is posted stays.

I work in the legal profession. That child is being exposed to something you believe is dangerous. You can't do anything to protect the child because it might cause an argument?

I'm sorry but that is irresponsible IF the "problem" is serious enough to cause you to post the question.

May 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    First, you cannot delete a post. What is posted stays.

I work in the legal profession. That child is being exposed to something you believe is dangerous. You can't do anything to protect the child because it might cause an argument?

I'm sorry but that is irresponsible IF the "problem" is serious enough to cause you to post the question.

I just feel that, I am not the primary care giver, and they are irresponsible with their child. You really have to put yourself in the situation. The whole family is skrewed up, and I am the "new" soon to be sister-in-law. I cannot put my fiancée in a situation that is bad enough for him to be disowned by his own family. I'm just curious if there are other people in the world who are this lax with their habbits and parenting. Im not saying they blow smoke in the kids face, but they smoke and then bring the child into the room and I don't see a big difference in exposure. :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Do you really want to be part of this family?

May 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Do you really want to be part of this family?
    I have to accept what comes with my fiancé. I love him and I would never leave him or do anything to hurt him. His family is much different than my own and it is so hard to adjust when I go to his house. But I have to do it for him, he's going to be my husband and I will do whatever it takes to get us there.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2012, 05:01 PM
    I married into an alcoholic family, so you have my prayers.

May 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
    I married into an alcoholic family, so you have my prayers.
    Thank you, Carol. How did you get through? If you don't mind me asking.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
    I just feel that, I am not the primary care giver, and they are irresponsible with their child. You really have to put yourself in the situation. The whole family is skrewed up, and I am the "new" soon to be sister-in-law. I cannot put my fiancee in a situation that is bad enough for him to be disowned by his own family. I'm just curious if there are other people in the world who are this lax with their habbits and parenting. Im not saying they blow smoke in the kids face, but they smoke and then bring the child into the room and I dont see a big difference in exposure. :(

I was married to an alcoholic. No secret, I've posted it before. I know all about irresponsible behavior.

I also know that someone has to protect the children of the world. You plan to marry this man and have these people have contact with your children?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Thankfully, my husband wasn't an alcoholic, but whenever I was with his family, I had to be on guard for myself and my children for emotional/verbal abuse, controlling behavior, loose boundaries, and all the other issues that are part of a family in denial. Knowing what I know now, I would not do it again.

May 10, 2012, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I was married to an alcoholic. No secret, I've posted it before. I know all about irresponsible behavior.

I also know that someone has to protect the children of the world. You plan to marry this man and have these people have contact with your children?

Supervised contact only as decided between the two of us, my fiancée and I.

May 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
    Thankfully, my husband wasn't an alcoholic, but whenever I was with his family, I had to be on guard for myself and my children for emotional/verbal abuse, controlling behavior, loose boundaries, and all the other issues that are part of a family in denial. Knowing what I know now, I would not do it again.

Thank you for sharing, I'm sorry that you had to go through those things in life. It sounds like you did a damned good job though! I think God puts us through things like that to teach us different ways to appreciate life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kicked out by parent, can that parent then turn child over to Child services? [ 25 Answers ]

I have a teenager staying with me. Her single mother kicked her out of the family home and changed the locks. The mother knows she is staying with us. Mother originally said she would not allow child back in home until child has followed certain rules. Mother and daughter agreed to meet and talk...

When parent fails to maintain contact and support to child. Step parent adoption [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got sole custody of his son at 7 months because at 1 month old his biological mother spiral fractured his left femur and he 2 years old now. Im his step mother and his primary caregiver. I love him more than anything in the world like he was my own child and he calls me mom. I want to...

Step parent must pay child support when biological parent is unable to provide [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband is claiming that he does not have to pay child support because he does not work and has not work since 1998. Our two daughters however, up until 2 years ago lived with him and his new wife who is the sole provider of that family. So my question is even though he cannot pay since he...

Child live with cutodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent child is 18 years [ 1 Answers ]

Child lived with custodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent, child is 18 years old. What happens to child support?

View more questions Search