Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leothedog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 12:43 PM
    Is there lighting without mounting it to ceiling
    How do you hide the wires next to the ceiling. I need help hanging a pendant or. Chandalier where there is no ceiling mount The wiring is on top of the pendant.I need it to be to the ceiling so it can hang down. I guess what I am asking is how do you hang a pendant when there is no ceiling mount and wire is on top of pendant.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2012, 04:13 AM
    Leo,
    Are you asking how to install a light fixture where there is no outlet box?
    The only safe and proper method is to install an outlet box rated for the weight of the pendant or chandelier you intend to install.
    There are many ways to do this cheap... I don't recommend any of them
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
    By code, all lights need to be connected to a fixture rated box. Find the nearest stud, install a rated pancake box and hang there pendant from that. Standard Old Work boxes are not fan rated.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Apr 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
    To add: Most pan boxes will not meet box fill requirements, if there is more than one cable at the termination point.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2012, 05:09 AM
    Agree with Washington1, better choice of words would have been "fixture rated box "
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2012, 05:34 AM
    Somehow the answers have to do with the outlet box, when the question is how to get wiring to an outlet box.

Either the wiring needs to be fished through the walls up to and through the ceiling to the light location, which may require openings in the wall and ceiling surfaces to pull the wiring through both, or you can use surface mounted wiring method, such as Wiremold.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
    I didn't read it that way since they stated "there is no ceiling mount". Who knows, maybe they will give us better info.
    leothedog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 10:38 AM
    Can you wire the chandlier as a lamp?
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
    Can you please clarify if you have a ceiling box for the wiring. Yes you can usually wire the chandelier as a light but a fixture rated box is imperitive.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Leo,
    Please explain what you mean...
    Do you intend to drape the cord across the ceiling and then plug into
    A wall receptacle?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Yes you could plug into an outlet and use a Swag Kit.

If you have an attic, or 6" recessed cans(to have access in ceiling) additional wires could be pushed or pulled, if in conduit, then wire from can to chandolier.

With Attic Space. I would determine exact location, push a nail or wire to locate in attic, and see if location is not blocked by plumbing or something. You may need a piece of 2X4 between trusses to get a more accurate location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mounting a ceiling fan in room w/ no ceiling light [ 9 Answers ]

I have a room that was an add-on and there is no attic for this room and no ceiling light. I need suggestion on how to mount and wire a ceiling fan w/ a light.

Troubleshooting ceiling fan mounting [ 2 Answers ]

Troubleshooting ceiling fan mounting on sloped ceiling remote won't fit. Look like I need an elongated mounting part. Just bought harbor breeze fan at Lowe's. What can I do to make the wireless remote slide into the unit. The sloped ceiling is making it difficult to slide the remote in place .

Flush mounting a ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting a flush mounted install of a 52" Hampton Bay "Belmont Baroque" ceiling fan, but am stimied by the absence of paper instructions from HB. As it is now, the fan is screwed tight into a fixed placement...housing to piece that covers the electrical box. I do have an extension rod with...

Mounting ceiling fans [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a hampton bay ceiling fan. It's not a ceiling mount, but that ball n socket type of hanging fan. Does anyone know how short the shaft can be while still allowing it to swing with the little bit of 'wobble' that it needs. Floor to ceiling is 7'9''. Thanks

Ceiling fan mounting [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed many ceiling fans. But many now don't have the flush mount option. I have a Hampton Bay "Sauterne" model 54" fan. It does not have the flush mount option. The canopy and motor housing holes line up the same as a fan that has the flush mount option. My question is can I flush mount...

View more questions Search