Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renter in DC Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    OK, First, have you read your lease? What does it say about termination? Did you or the landlord give written notice that the lease would not be renewed? Have the landords responded to your request for some extra time?
    Thanks. I have read the lease. Regarding termination of tenancy, the lease only reads that if I fail to comply with any term of the lease, is grounds for termination of tenancy "with appropriate notice to Tenant and procedures as required by law". Above that, hand written in "Additional Provisions" it reads : Contract may be voided due to failure to pay in which case security deposit will be kept by landlord, tenant will be removed. Agreement is for one tenant only. Apartment will be unfurnished. 30 day notice if tenant needs to leave." Is exactly what is written.
    They have responded to my query over a month ago asking whether or not they wanted to renew. They replied that they do not want to renew, they would "like me to leave" on the last day of the lease. That is fine. I am leaving. However I have not found a replacement apartment for certain yet. When I paid my final months rent this week, I informed them it looked like I would not have a new place until three weeks after the lease ends. I think my rent check crossed with the owner's email I received yesterday reading they want to inspect the apt next week (three weeks before the end of lease) and the painters are coming the day after the lease ends. I reiterated what I wrote in my letter by email and very nicely asked that they re-schedule the painter. No reply yet. I don't care if they inspect, (though I find it odd). I think it makes more sense to do so after I vacate, or on the last day of the lease. I am just wondering if they can legally do anything to me if I do not receive a cooperative agreement of some kind from them, and I defy their wish and stay an extra two or three weeks. So far the warnings are pretty bad - though in DC maybe I have a bit of a grace period.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2012, 03:06 AM
    Since you both seem to have complied with the lease and agreed not to renew, I don't think they can automatically renew for another year. I would definitely send a rent check for the next period (and do it ASAP) with a letter reiterating that your new place will not be ready for an additional three weeks.
    renter in DC Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Since you both seem to have complied with the lease and agreed not to renew, I don't think they can automatically renew for another year. I would definitely send a rent check for the next period (and do it ASAP) with a letter reiterating that your new place will not be ready for an additional three weeks.
    Thanks. I have done so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a tenant stay only 1 week after a 60 day notice, if the landlord & tenant agree? [ 10 Answers ]

My elderly widowed mother owns a low income fourplex apartment building in Santa Clara County, California. My mother would like to extensively remodel the two bedroom, and one bathroom, apartment unit that a father and son reside in. The father, and his then wife or girlfriend, signed a...

Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat--reverts back to Hold AC when run program is pushed.

Legal hold on bank account BUT I they put a hold on a larger amount than was in there [ 1 Answers ]

A state marshall put a hold on my account because of a judement but the hold was for more than I had in my account what can I do?

Landlord/Tenant Law in Texas - What Duty Does Tenant Have to Pay for New Carpet? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We moved into an apartment two years and three months ago and just moved out. In February, my husband had food poisoning and was very sick. He had taken pepto bismol, but in a polite way, it didn't stay down. Thus, we ended up with some light pink stains in an area about one foot wide...

View more questions Search